Where can I find a fuel pump for an 86 VT700C?? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Where can I find a fuel pump for an 86 VT700C??

I just bought this bike, the last thing it needs is a fuel pump. The local motorcycle repair shop tried to order one but they said this part has been discontinued. Would you have any idea where I can find one? Thank you for your time. Joshua

1985 Kawasaki Vulcan 700 (VN700A1) - stock - blown engine among many other problems

1983 Honda Nighthawk 750 (CB750SC) - 4 into 1 exhaust, drag handlebar - repainted back to original Honda Nighthawk Black Pearl
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can't get the OEM part, but the fuel pump is nothing special. It's a 12 volt 3PSI fuel pump. Any fuel pump that meets those requirements will work.

I believe some folks have picked up a suitable unit at Autozone for about $30.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will definitely check into this. Anyone know which fuel pump fits the best with the least modification? Does the 86 700 shadow have an external relay like the 84/85s? I've searched and read so many threads I've forgotten. Would I need to tell the shop to wire it a certain way to bypass the relay if external, or if it was internal on the OEM pump, what to do with the wires from the igniters?

1985 Kawasaki Vulcan 700 (VN700A1) - stock - blown engine among many other problems

1983 Honda Nighthawk 750 (CB750SC) - 4 into 1 exhaust, drag handlebar - repainted back to original Honda Nighthawk Black Pearl
Old 05-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

The relay on the 1986 is internal to the pump. Just replacing the pump with something else is the equivalent of bypassing the relay.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Justin, I went to Auto Zone and asked for the smallest 12 volt fuel pump they have with 3 psi. They gave me on made by Spectra that is 12 volts and 2.5 to 4 psi. I'll take it to the shop tomorrow and see if it fits but it looks pretty large to me.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

hi, iv got the same problem with my 86 honda shadow vt700, tried finding a fuel pump but like you said earlier, it has been discontinued.
iv also noticed something with the current fuel pump that might cause a bit of a problem and would be greatful for any advice.

the original pump has 3 wires leading from it, positive, negative and what a mechanic thought was a trigger but he wasnt 100% on this.
iv seen other pump for 84, 85 shadows etc, and they all have 2 wires leading from them.
could anyone advise whether that 3rd wire is needed and whether a different shadow model would have a fuel pump that fits.

many thanks
Josh
shadow700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Your old pump had inputs for power ground and a trigger. The trigger is ground to enable the pump.

With a two wire pump you can ignore the trigger wire and the pump will run when the key is on and the carbs need gas.

One thought is to use a standard relay to tun the pump power "on" when the engine kill switch is on. Kill the engine and stop the fuel flow. Otherwise, if you crash the only way to shut off the fuel is to get to the key which may be under the bike (depends on your bikes location of the ignition switch, mine is low on the left side). Or, just never lay the bike down. Let me know if you have questions. Dave

Last edited by verdeva; 05-24-2012 at 10:36 AM.
verdeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.