I'm Leaking Gas! - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation I'm Leaking Gas!

Honda Shadow VLX 600 - Fuel drips steadily from behind the little chrome cover next to the choke and idle adjuster, only when the engine is running. This just started this morning after running leak-free night before last.

I've taken a look around the are where the leak is dripping, and it's coming from a tiny orifice on the part immediately behind that little chrome cover next to the choke and idle adjustor. I see no fuel or wetness on any part above that. The fuel drips steadily from that little orifice.

Please tell me this wil be a simple, inexpensive repair that will not require a shop. I'm about to cry.
MyPoorVLX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Correction?

After another look, it seems to be moist all around the bottom half of that part with the orfice. I don't know for sure. If I plug the orfice with a finger, t seems to stop dripping . . .
Old 05-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is where pictures would be really helpful.

I can think of a few things... it could be a leak from the petcock that is dripping onto where you are seeing it. Are the idle mixture screw plugs still there or not? If not, did you lose that screw? There's probably other parts of the carb can be leaking as well.

2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1996 Honda Shadow VLX - SOLD
Endy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2011, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Gonna need a picture for this one.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

I believe it is the fuel auto valve, Which is a vacuum chamber for the fuel to flow to the carb from the tank so it doesn,t overfill the carb I believe. If you take the screw out from the cover you should be able to see a square metal device that the fuel line goes into. pull the cover and see if it is a loose fuel line or the gasket may be shot in the valve. there is also a small hose that goes to the rear cylinder (i think that is where it goes) on that valve also that could have popped off too. The reason you would only get the leak when running is due to the fuel flows through there on a vacuum thus automatically closes when the engine shuts off.

I can't find it and I have looked nowhere
US ARMY 2004-PRESENT
2000 VLX (SOLD)
2000 Sporty

Last edited by Afghanvet_2x; 05-25-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Afghanvet_2x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Afghanvet - I spent yesterday evening looking at the leak and I think you are correct in your assessment. All hoses are intact, checked that. I did manage to find a thread here that talks about the exact same leak from the same spot. I got a glimmer of hope when I read that this part had been recalled for this reason, but that hope quickly faded to dispair after calling Honda and finding that the recall repair had been performed already in 2008.

<sigh> Now it's time to take my poor motorcycle to the shop (again), and to shudder at the thought of how much it's going to cost me this time (I've already sunk about $2700 into repairs on this beast). Anybody know the cost of this part and average labor hours to replace it?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

The valve assembly itself is about 120 bucks and you could save some $$ by doing it yourself it would take maybe a half hour, hour tops , remove the seat, tank and you can get to it with ease 2 bolts hold it in place disconnect the fuel and vacuum lines and it is off. replacement will be the exact opposite.

I can't find it and I have looked nowhere
US ARMY 2004-PRESENT
2000 VLX (SOLD)
2000 Sporty
Afghanvet_2x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Bike developed a drip. I “thought” it was coming from the hole for the idle mix screw but it turned out to be the forward float bowl gasket was leaking, running down and dripping off the idle mix hole. Very deceiving.

02 Yamaha WR426
71 Honda CB175
byggd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.