Exhaust Options Older Shadow 700 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exhaust Options Older Shadow 700

Heya Folks,

1985 Honda Shadow 700c. Header pipes are fine. Muffler on the other hand is a mess. Left side the end was either drilled out or punched out while the right side was left alone, go figure.

Anyone have any cost effective (read, "I'm on a VERY tight budget) options for new muffler pipes? It appears that the stock mufflers connect to a resonance chamber underneath the bike. This would all be replaced it looks like if I went to a straight muffler setup. J&P has some cheap ones but not sure if they have baffles in them or not, and I NEED baffles, I want to keep what hearing I have left.

I'm sure with a new muffler and getting rid of that chamber under the bike I'll probably have to re-jet, more on that later as I'll probably start a new thread if/when it becomes necessary.

So there you have it, I'm sure someone here has replaced their stock setup on an older shadow inexpensively and has a few ideas.

Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I am in the same boat with my 84 VT700c I have not looked all that hard but from what I have seen there are very few exhaust options for the 83 - 85 Shadows, one place I looked at to replace the resonance chamber assembly wanted over $600 for it.

Mine have had cats spray them (and permanently burn/etch it) and two nights ago I laid it down scraping the end of it all up so I am looking for some cheap replacements as well.

Regarding your motorcycle... anything that restricts or un-restricts the amount of back pressure in the exhaust system has the potential to cause you to have to adjust the a/f screws or completely re-jet the carbs.

I am going to want baffles on mine too, I don't seen any reason for needing to be heard over a mile away on something with a 700cc engine.
landon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

MAC makes a replacement exhaust system for these bikes for just under $300 or Ebay might have some used stock parts or try Craigslist in your area sometimes you get lucky.
Search Results - Cheap Cycle Parts

85 700 Shadow
rah328 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Mac are not very high quality, since your on a budget, you can use your stock header pipes, and just put new mufflers on them, I put sportster mufflers on mine, you can find them real cheap, got mine for $40 for the pair.

83 VT 750 C Shadow

orlenz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have MAC on mine, they blue pretty easily but beyond that they're fine. I'm considering header wrapping them though as the rear pipe and my boot argue on a regular basis.

1983 VT500
83vt500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Emgo makes a lot of replacement mufflers for older bikes. Put some on my Magna when I had it and they were better the Mac's.
jpr1968 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies!! Yes, I'll be using my old header pipes as that seems to be the cheapest solution on a tight budget.

Keep the ideas coming!! I did locate these at J&P, but if someone knows of a better price by all means let me know, this is the best I've come up with so far:

Universal Mounting Shorty style Muffler | 4500055 | J&P Cycles
Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

The stock system is a good one. It works well with the engine. The expansion chamber keeps it quiet and preserves hp. First, I would try to repair the set you have with weld. If not .........

Here are a few perspective sets. (shipped prices)

85 vt700 vt 700 c Shadow muffler pipe exhaust honda | eBay
$107

1984 SHADOW SPIRIT 700 EXHAUST MUFFLERS | eBay
$50

Honda VT700 VT 700 Shadow exhaust system pipes mufflers | eBay
$180
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to razor78016 Send a message via Yahoo to razor78016 Send a message via Skype™ to razor78016
Talking

I got my mufflers at a swap meet lol. $20 for both. They were from an
'06 Dyna Glide.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hmmm, keep the old one, that's a thought, I didn't think it would be fixable. I'll have to take a picture of what it looks like to see thoughts on how to go about that.

I checked ebay before even posting here and my system is actually in better condition than either of the ones you linked but thanks for the effort!

So basically I'd have to figure out how to weld a round plate in the backs of each muffler and drill holes through them to make them uniform on each side. Sounds like that anywho till I hear different from you guys.

I'll post some shots tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.