Polishing Sabre rims? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Polishing Sabre rims?

07 Sabre.

Anyone ever polish their rims? Is it hard to do? Do you know of anyone that does it? I think it would look bad azz.
Current bike: 07 Sabre 1100
jetchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

polishin anything takes a little time and effort,i agree polished aluminum looks badass,i have chrome wheels on my bike,but ive polished aluminum rims (all 6 of them,plus 2 150gallon fuel tanks) by hand on my big truck and it took forever,but the payoff was well worth it. on a bike it shouldnt take too long,and if your wheels are as clean as they look in your picture it shouldnt require alot of work,get some good aluminum/chrome polish such as mothers and some rags and take your time and theyll look great,however if you wanted to,take them off,and find a local autobody shop that has buffers and have them buff them to a shine..id find a shop b4 takin them off 1st.lol..post pics of b4 and after.

2003 vlx 600

Freedom to ride is brought to us by the men and women who gave their lives serving our country and those who continue to serve.THANK YOU!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPHJFEcrHQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4h7AQArOCU

Last edited by craig s.; 08-21-2011 at 01:44 PM.
craig s. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Nice bike! Reminds me of something

I have h3ll just keeping them clean Polishing would remove the coating, how would you recoat it?

Old Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

I believe MarkSpike polished (or had them polished) the rims on his Ace T. Hoepfully he'll chime in with some details.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are we sure the wheels are clear coated? The reason I ask is because none of the aluminum wheels on the Gold Wings GL1500 (1988-2000) or GL1800 (2001-2010) were coated. Honda is now including clear coating for their new 2012 GW. I would be a little surprised if the Shadow models with aluminum wheels are coated. That said, if your aluminum wheels are in less than perfect condition, you can actually polish them up using very fine grit sand papers with lots of water. Do not use steel wool as it can imbed tiny steel fibers into the aluminum that can rust causing tarnish spots. The very best, and I've tried several brands, aluminum polish that I have found is Busch's. Sometimes hard to find at auto parts stores, but often can be found at larger truck stops.
Chillable Red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

I have used an aluminum mag wheel polish. Results were impressive but to do this properly, the wheels should be removed for ease of access.
My wheels are not clear coated.

Phil.

dernp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dernp View Post
I have used an aluminum mag wheel polish. Results were impressive but to do this properly, the wheels should be removed for ease of access.
My wheels are not clear coated.

Phil.
Removal of wheels and rotors would be the best way by far! I think Big B did the wheels on his Sabre too. As for protective coating...I have heard you can wax them and keep them waxed , not positive myself, but this is going to be an "after deer season I am bored out of my a$$ and have nothing else to do" project. I know polished looks a heckuva lot better than non polished so I am gonna do it.
If you do it, post before, during and after pics!
Coop

My Mistress 2006 VTX 1300R
Ride Bells By OldDad
Coop is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
Removal of wheels and rotors would be the best way by far! I think Big B did the wheels on his Sabre too. As for protective coating...I have heard you can wax them and keep them waxed , not positive myself, but this is going to be an "after deer season I am bored out of my a$$ and have nothing else to do" project. I know polished looks a heckuva lot better than non polished so I am gonna do it.
If you do it, post before, during and after pics!
Coop
Indeed, here's what I did, had them off while I was doing my tires. Made it much easier.
Honda Sabre wheel cleaning question

Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Bernie, would you care to share which aluminum cleaner and polish you used? Your wheels in that post look great!
Dan
Old 08-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconeedan View Post
Bernie, would you care to share which aluminum cleaner and polish you used? Your wheels in that post look great!
Dan
I'll have to check out in the garage later, getting ready to leave for a rainy cook out, I mean in.

Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.