fuel filter - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to slim Send a message via MSN to slim Send a message via Yahoo to slim
Default fuel filter

Ok iv searched but cant find.i need to know what fuel filter i should use on my 01 spirit 1100.that i know of its never been changed,auto parts store or honda brand.if aftermarket what is the id of the hose.the reason in asking is around 75 im having a lil hesitation.so i wont to do a tune up and see if it goes away.im also thinking about pulling the pet **** and checking that filter.what do you guys use to seal the threads on the pet ****.any info is greatly appreciated.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used the honda filter in my bike (same model). I think they started with the filter & then built a bike around it. You could probably buy an aftermarket that would work just fine, but it may not fit in the cute little rubber holder. Probably be a third the price. I bought an 11" long pair of needle nose to reach the clamps. It would be really tough without them. If the wheel was off it would be much easier.
tazman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to slim Send a message via MSN to slim Send a message via Yahoo to slim

Thanks for the info tazman9,i'll try to pull it and take it to an auto parts store.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

The filter from Honda is like 10 bucks. Best to use the one designed for the purpose.

1998 VT1100T A.C.E. Tourer
cl65ame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Save yourself a couple bucks and some aggrevation (changing the fuel and petcock filters).

This should tell you if everything is OK with your fuel delivery system.
=========================================
Directions for Fuel Delivery Test from Service Manual below:

The directions for a 97-2003 VT1100
Turn Ignition off
Disconnect the fuel cut--off relay connector (under the seat)
Check for battery voltage between the Black (+) terminal and ground. (-)
There should be battery voltage with the ignition switch ON
If there is no voltage, check for open circuit or loose connections in Black wire.

Check for continuity between the Black/Blue and ground, If there is continuity, faulty fuel cut-off relay.

If there is no continuity, short the Black and Black/Blue terminals at the relay connector with a suitable jumber wire.
Disconnect the fuel pump 2P (black) connector and check for battery voltage between the black/blue (+) and green (-) terminals with the ignition switch ON.
If there is battery voltage, faulty fuel pump.
If there is no battery voltage, check for open circuit or losse connection in the Black/Blue and greeen wires.

Discharge Volume inspection
Short the Black and Black/blue terminals with a suitable jumper wire.
Hold a beaker under the fuel line that goes to the carbs and turn on ignition. wait 5 seconds should come out to about 28oz a minute.
===========================
Cbjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Works for me,i didnt know they were around 10 bucks that aint too bad.what do i seal the petcock threads with.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Have not done it on a bike but used plain old hardware store teflon on all fuel fittings. Anything paste or liquid will leak after a while. Because it is a static line, I would suggest tape only if it seeps when in the correct position. Avoid over tightening....upstream the fuel pump it is a static (no pressure) application.
Nehalem Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement