VT1100--Adjusting Clutch Lever - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default VT1100--Adjusting Clutch Lever

It's a 92 VT1100 hydraulic---Brake lever is 3 1/2" at furthest point---The clutch is a full 4"---I find myself having to let the last of it out with my longest middle finger---Would rather have it closer to the bar so I could release with the whole hand, (several times my finger slips off)---Any suggestions---Thanks

Kenny

[/B][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
kenny4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Keep dreaming. Adjustable levers are available for sportsbikes and some cruisers but I doubt for a Shadow 750 [edit] VT1100 . The pic below is the only solution I know of. The problem is you have to make absolutely certain that the modified lever contacts the clutch switch to avoid disabling the bike's safety interlock system.

Last edited by RONW; 08-28-2011 at 12:31 AM.
RONW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2011, 03:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

My clutch lever is built into the clutch reservoir so that wouldn't work.

Kenny

Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

The mod shown above may work if you change it around a little. The adusting screw would need to be part of the lever not the mount.

I have 2003 Kawasaki Concours that had an adjustable hydraulic clutch. the adjust ment was dome by changing the length of the push rod that pushed into the master cylinder.

I dont have drawings of your lever but you may be able to modify your push rod (may be just a small die cast bump) by drilling it out and tapping it so you can insert a adjustment screw. Take a pic or two of the lever and maybe someone can come up with a solution.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hydraulic clutch's have no adjustments at the lever. Your best bet is to find a modified lever if anyone makes them.
jpr1968 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

My clutch is cabled so I can't check this out on my bike but it looks like you MIGHT be able to shorten the push rod (Item 2). Item 2 costs $16 and the Bushing item 3 costs $10 so you can always order them and try mod'ing them or at least have them on hand if shortening the push rod doesn't work out.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the pic---I'd probably be better off just getting another #18, (the lever) off a parting out bike---Try to heat and slow bend it.

Kenny

Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Good luck with that, cast aluminum is a bear to bend even with heat due to it's porous nature. If you do get it to bend without breaking I personaly would not trust the handle, odds are it will break off just when you need it most.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardL View Post
Good luck with that, cast aluminum is a bear to bend even with heat due to it's porous nature. If you do get it to bend without breaking I personaly would not trust the handle, odds are it will break off just when you need it most.
That's a good thought Richard---After I posted it I thought about it more and as you said the heating and/or bending may compromise the strength of it and could easily break off in my hand at a very inconvenient time---Oh well, I'll just have to learn to adapt to what I have.

Kenny

Old 08-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

just a thought. is your hand at the end of the handel? have you tried moving it closer to the center? also rotating the lever on the handelbar a little may help. examine your grip and see if this may help.

1983 VT500C & 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter 800
ernie12b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.