Ignition removal - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ignition removal

I have a 1984 Honda Shadow VT750C. I need to remove the ignition switch to get it rekeyed since the key i got when I bought it is not working. Does anyone have any tips or links as to how to most easily remove the ignition from the bike?

Thanks.
ryno1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to O'Larry Send a message via Yahoo to O'Larry

Don't know about the ignition, but don't forget the helmet lock as well as the fork lock will be keyed the same. The helmet lock may be the easiest to get to. The P.O. might have written the key number down in the owners manual if you have that also. No matter how you work it, get three keys made, inscribe the numbers on at least one of them and lock it up at home. Put one spare on the bike somewhere that you can get to in case you lose the one in the ignition. Sometimes on the older ignitions the key can vibrate out and go down the road by itself. OK?
O'Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 03:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is from a yamaha but the idea is the same ... Sadly you need to take the headlight off and move the wires and possibly the speedo too ... But this should help ...

This is the key and ignition switch ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1322942601.950983.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	3609
I know not pretty but, you can get the idea ...

Now this is where the bolts are in this old midnight special ..
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1322942679.468203.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	3610
It's just infront of the triple tree, and there are two bolts ( on here ) and should be pretty similar ... Best of luck ...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

" EVER NOTICE THAT ANYONE GOING SLOWER THAN YOU IS AN IDIOT,BUT ANYONE GOING FASTER THAN YOU IS A MANIAC???" GEORGE CARLIN

" THINK OF HOW STUPID THE AVERAGE PERSON IS , AND REALIZE HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT " GEORGE CARLIN
punkrockda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 03:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have an 84 VT700c also, the ignition switch is a horrible p.i.t.a to get to but if it was easy to get to this motorcycle would be very easy to steal.

Like what was previously said you have to remove the headlight and basically everything that is bolted to the triple tree to get to the ignition switch, there is nothing really hard about it or anything that you need special tools for you just need to keep unbolting things until you get to it.
landon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I will definately have lots of extras made once I get it straightened out. Unfortunately, the previous owner was a guy who bought it fromhis neighbour who died, and the widow didnt know anything about it etc. Thankfully the bike was very, very cheap so I odnt mind fooling around with it.

I think I might try to get the helmet lock out first, looks like it might be easier.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

So, the catch 22 continues. To recap:

Have a key for the bike, but it will not work in any of the locks. Have a locksmith that will help me out, but I need to take a lock and key into him to straighten it out.

Ignition is a PITA to remove (as you have all mentioned)
The gas tank cap cannot be removed without the key and without breaking it
The helmet lock needs the seat removed to remove
The seat needs the rear toolbox opened to allow it to be removed, and guess what? Key wont work in there either!

I am really trying to avoid breaking anything, so it looks like the front end comes apart tomorrow to get at the ignition.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Update - In case anyone is thinking about removing the ignition from their 80's shadow, wonder no more. Piece of cake, takes 4 bolts, 2 screws, and less than 10 minutes (less than 5 if you are in a nice organized garage with space to work, which I am currently NOT).

Got it out no problem, I even found a locksmith freind of a friend who will rekey it for free.

Sometimes you win
Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alllllrigggghhht !!!!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

" EVER NOTICE THAT ANYONE GOING SLOWER THAN YOU IS AN IDIOT,BUT ANYONE GOING FASTER THAN YOU IS A MANIAC???" GEORGE CARLIN

" THINK OF HOW STUPID THE AVERAGE PERSON IS , AND REALIZE HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT " GEORGE CARLIN
punkrockda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to O'Larry Send a message via Yahoo to O'Larry

Good job!
O'Larry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ignition removed, $15 at the locksmiths and I have a working key. Unfortunately, I still dont have a working key for the helmet lock, tool box, and most importantly the gas tank. Now I am stuck because I dont know how to get the helmet lock off without taking off the seat, which requires the tool box to be removed. Hmmmmmmm............ Back to the drawing board I guess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.