VT1100 project - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #31 (permalink)

I think would be cool almost wonder if you could maybe make the floaters look like bones if you were into the skulls n bones thing. One question i have,on your mockup are you goin to have enough clearance for the trees and bars?
bigooomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #32 (permalink)

Thanks bigooomp, at the moment it's going to be a black and white colour scheme so would probably have a white tank with black floaters, but it's always evolving, the shape of tank I ended up with today was nothing like I started off making LOL I just took the way the metal was moving and went with it really.

No idea what I'm doing, but learning is cool
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #33 (permalink)

Sounds good im glossing the frame bars etc black the tins are all goin to be satin hunter green. Wish i had time and tools to metal work but bein an expedite driver time is spotty so im orderin oldies concepts fenders and probably stickin with stock tank lol
bigooomp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #34 (permalink)

I'm planning on cutting off the back 4 inches and having a single piece in place as it'll be easier to blend into the seat pan. Then and upside down 'U' shape around the front to tidy and seal that up. Going to run a thin grinder down the parts that don't fit brilliantly to straighten them up and get a better fit, then mig away!

Old 11-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #35 (permalink)

^^^ Really looking forward to seeing this! Looks awesome!

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!

ACE VT750 4 Advance Timing Mod
Tubeless Spokes
Service Manual Downloads:
ACE VT750
VLX VT600
Aced It is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

The frame looks great. That tank though? I don't think so. It is too many pieces, it will never last, I'm sorry to say. With all the welds it will take to stitch it together it will eventually crack and leak. I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to save you some heart ache. Take it as you will.
Cheers
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilliox View Post
The frame looks great. That tank though? I don't think so. It is too many pieces, it will never last, I'm sorry to say. With all the welds it will take to stitch it together it will eventually crack and leak. I'm not trying to be an ass, just trying to save you some heart ache. Take it as you will.
Cheers
As long as they are good, full penetration welds, it should hold up fine . Warping it is the only thing I would worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofmyownshadow View Post
As long as they are good, full penetration welds, it should hold up fine . Warping it is the only thing I would worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
I am an ASME certified welder. I might know a thing or two. If a gas tank made out of three pieces of metal will leak after time. Imagine what that thing will do.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #39 (permalink)

well I guess we'll see if it works or not. It's a strong learning curve, and the possibility of it happening is enough to drive me to do as good a job as I can to give it the best shot possible!

Cheers for the comments people.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorman View Post
well I guess we'll see if it works or not. It's a strong learning curve, and the possibility of it happening is enough to drive me to do as good a job as I can to give it the best shot possible!

Cheers for the comments people.
You can always use a tank liner or fab an inner steel tank. Still looks awesome so kudos to you!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course you have a rubber head!

ACE VT750 4 Advance Timing Mod
Tubeless Spokes
Service Manual Downloads:
ACE VT750
VLX VT600
Aced It is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.