Shark amp/radio review - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shark amp/radio review

I Just recieved my 600 watt amp/radio today, so I just wanted to do a review for any riders that are interested in a sound system for their bike.
So I headed out to the shop tohook it up and see how it worked. It's the model #5800 with the FM radio, usb port and SD card port.
The FM radio works flawless. Even in my shop with a steel roof, the reception was better than the shop stereo (which has an outside antenna)
Now to test out the SD card port, so I plugged in the SD card from my MP3 player to see how it worked. It displayed each song selection on the amp screen which is a nice feature. The remote allow you to select any song with a numbered key pad, so you don't have to go thru all the selections to get to the song you want, which is nice if your looking for a particular song or artist from your list.
AND... what's this? An equalizer botton on the remote! So I pressed it and sure enough, you detail the sound! Nice option to have if your speakers can't handle the power or alot of bass, which can make them sound distorted with the volume turn up. With my 5-1/4" 3-way speakers, it has plenty of punch for highway speeds.
Did I mention the power?!! This thing turns fat into muscle!! I knew it would power my fairing speakers, no problem. (my 250 watt amp did that with volume to spare)
So just for sh!ts and giggles, I hooked the amp up to my shop speakers, which are 3-way home stereo speakers with 12" woofers. Holy crap Batman, it shook the windows in the shop! More volume than one would ever need in a lifetime, that's for sure.
The amp itself is 4.5" X 4.5" X 1-3/4" which is small enough to mount on the right side of my handlebars, where my 250 watt amp is mounted now.

OK, the Shark 100 watt system is probably good enough for most riders and has just enough power to get by for a reasonable price.

The 250 watt system works alot better, and has plenty of power for all practical purposes, but the FM radio function does not sound all that great.

But 600 watts? Ya, I kinda thought it may be going over board to some degree. I wanted a good radio, that gets good reception, which it does. I also wanted to get MP3 songs without having to hook up an extra device (MP3 player) so the SD card port is just what the doctor ordered, and works perfect. With a 4GB SD card, I have 1000 songs (and 1000 more on another card if need be) to chose from at the touch of a button.

So to sum up, this amp ROCKS! It does everything it claims it can do, and does it very well. For $50~ off Ebay or around $60 from Gooddeals18.com, it's well worth the money.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Pikturz!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Here ya go:

shark shkamp5800 mini car motorcycle snowmobile atv 600 watt amplifier w/ radio & remote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

My "100" watt Shark amp says 17w x 2 in the owners manual. Do you think it is actually putting out 600 watts? How do you think this would compare to an actual car stereo? Is it waterproof?
Old 01-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

cool
elfnyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

lol. thanks but I was looking for some of it installed on the bike. Looking to get some perspective of how it looks on the handlebars.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmmm....just finished installing the 100 watt system (which I ordered before someone advised to consider the 250 watt system.) The 100 watt system does not have enough volume unless in-town, AND the controls are very tough to handle, even when sitting still. I'd like the upgrade I think. I'd also enjoy seeing pix of it mounted on your bike. I do not think the speakers I got with the 100watt amp could handle this amp without blowing apart.

2007 VT750C2 Shadow Spirit
River Road Compact Slant Medium Saddlebags
Memphis Shades windshield
Ride bell from my daughter
Mustang wide seat
Jim O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 12:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O View Post
Hmmmm....just finished installing the 100 watt system (which I ordered before someone advised to consider the 250 watt system.) The 100 watt system does not have enough volume unless in-town, AND the controls are very tough to handle, even when sitting still. I'd like the upgrade I think. I'd also enjoy seeing pix of it mounted on your bike. I do not think the speakers I got with the 100watt amp could handle this amp without blowing apart.
Really? My 100 watt system is plenty loud, even on the highway. Do you have a lot of wind noise or buffetting from around your windshield that makes it difficult to hear? What are you using to get music to the amp? Initially I was using my MP3 player and left the volume of the shark amp turned all the way up. I would then control the volume from the MP3 which, on the highway, had to be up about 85%. Due to issues with visibility in direct sunlight and inability to operate through gloves, I now use this:

Ebay tuner

I connected the speaker leads from this tuner to a 3.5mm stereo plug and run that to the input on the shark amp. The first thing I noticed is that the volume is WAAAAY louder. Now, I have the shark amp turned almost all the way DOWN and, even with the volume on the tuner on it's lowest setting of 1, I can still make out the music at 55. On the highway, I keep it at around 6 - 8 but it goes to 15. I think the difference is coming from the voltage/watts on the input going to the amp. This new tuner is 3w x 2 and runs on +12v. My MP3 was ??? half watt, maybe? I'm not sure of the voltage but I'd be surprised if it was more than 3v. Maybe you should look at a different source of input rather than losing money on a system you just bought.

By the way, I agree. The controls on this thing suck! On/off and mute buttons are fine but the volume is almost IMPOSSIBLE to operate. Especially with gloves on. I actually took mine apart tonight to see if I could modify the volume button at all to make it easier to get ahold of. I'll let you know if figure anything out.

The speakers will be fine. They actually sound pretty good with the extra volume I got by switching to the new tuner. If you get the 250 or 600 watt systems, just make sure you avoid playing so loud that they distort and you should be fine.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

So did you actually ride the bike to test out the fm?

Big B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

First of all, I'm not hard of hearing (OK maybe a little) but, the main reason I went from the 250 watt amp to the 600 watt amp, was the fact that the 250 watt amp, with the FM radio feature did not sound very good compared to my MP3 player which also has the FM radio function. Now I wanted to just simplify my setup and have all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I found the 600 watt amp had the FM radio feature, along with an SD card slot and USB port, so I wouldn't need my MP3 player (just use the SD card instead)
I wanted to clean up the handlebars to look less cluttered too. Once I got rid of the chrome handlebar speakers (mounted larger ones inside the fairing) and now don't have to use my MP3 player, I have everything in the amplifier now, and alot less to mess with while riding (and a safety factor)
I have yet to mount the amp on the bike, but I did hook it up to my truck with a cigarette lighter plug and drove around with the amp on the seat and two 4" speakers I had laying around hooked up to it. It actually gets as good or better reception than the truck radio with just the 2 ft. wire antenna laying across the seat of the truck, so ya, the reception is way better than I expected. The amp is actually rated to put out 75 watts per channel, so that's still plenty of power I will never need to turn all the way up.

Once I get around to rolling the bike out of cold storage, I'll get things mounted and get some photos of my setup.

Last edited by PainterD; 01-29-2012 at 09:01 AM.
PainterD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.