My 86 VT1100 Bobber (In progess) - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My 86 VT1100 Bobber (In progess)

I bought this bike the weekend of Christmas. One present that I got for myself.
It's an 86 Honda Shadow VT1100. Completely stock, with about 25,XXX miles on it. It was well maintained and garage kept for most of its life, but the previous owner had it just sitting for several months and needed the cash, so he then sold it to me!

Now, in my hands, I want to make it into a BOBBER! I love that single seat, flat black, white wall, pin striped look on bikes. My first bike is an 05 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R that I stripped and chopped and fabbed into a modern Cafe Racer.

Ever since I bought that bike I wondered what it would be like to have a cruiser, or ever better, to have a Bobber. So here is my opportunity!
This is how she looked when I bought her.

I have big plans for this old girl.
My hopes are to get it almost completely done, or very close, by March 19th. I'm planning on taking a cruise down to Austin, TX. to visit some family and friends, have a good vacation, drink some beer, and see some live music at SXSW (South by South West)

I'm doing most of the work at my apt. and for some of the stuff that I can't/shouldn't do here, I'll do them at a friends house.

To start off with, I have some issues with starting the bike. After reading through some of the threads on here I think it could be a vacuum leak. But I'd like to get some help if possible, I can walk out to the bike every few days and start it right off the back, let it run, warm up and take it for a spin. But as soon as I turn it off, it wont start again. I'm not sure why. It turns over but sounds like its not getting fuel, which is weird when it was just running. and I'm sure the carbs need to be cleaned and I need to replace the fuel filter. But does any one have any ideas? You can smell fuel when trying to start it, I'm wondering if it doesn't get flooded when I try to start it the second time?

Also, I'm looking to buy lots of aftermarket parts. Anyone know where to get some master cylinders for the clutch and front brake for cheap? Cheapest I found them, new, were a little over $100 a piece. I'm bidding on some on ebay but they aren't shadow cylinders...I'm sure they will still work though. Also, grips (throttle included), switches on the bars...

Is there a good place to get honda specific parts thats cheap that any of you use? Any and all suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you for reading, stay tuned in for more progress, and Thank you for letting me become a member to your site!

Eric

My VT1100 Bobber Project
the_FUZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

start simple. Try running some sea foam through it if you haven't already. If the carbs haven't been serviced during your ownership I'd pull em off and take a peek.

JP50515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I havent tried seafoam yet, plan on it. and i am plannin on cleannin out the carbs when my rebuild kit comes in.

My VT1100 Bobber Project
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
-AJ

welcome. post some pics of your cafe racer. keep us updated on your progress.

2006 Honda VTX-1300R
Memphis Shades Batwing, Stock "C" Model Pipes, Mustang Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, National Cycle Hard Bags,
Lindby Multibar, Küryakyn Sound System, Küry ISO Grips, Show Chrome Grille Cover, Küry L.E.D Light Kit, Küry Triple Whammy,
Küry Constellation Light Bar, TTO Tach, Metzeler Tires, Chromed Wheels and much, much more.
-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

That 86 is way too nice to turn into a bobber in my opinion. If you want a bobber, start off with something that's a little beat up to begin with. It's getting hard to find those old Shadows in nice shape.

Of course it's your bike to do with as you please. That's just my take on it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

pix pix pix
elfnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AJ View Post
welcome. post some pics of your cafe racer. keep us updated on your progress.
i will see if i can find some pics. it still needs a few things before its done but the honda is on the top of the list right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post
That 86 is way too nice to turn into a bobber in my opinion. If you want a bobber, start off with something that's a little beat up to begin with. It's getting hard to find those old Shadows in nice shape.

Of course it's your bike to do with as you please. That's just my take on it.
i understand where you are coming from, its pretty nice, but has its downs too. I appreciate your input too. but I REALLY want a bobber and i cant justify buying a 4th bike right now... i think it will be alright though.

My VT1100 Bobber Project
Old 02-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Can't wait to see it bobbed!! Good luck and please post pics.

Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

nice!! I have an 85 vt1100, all original, even paint, grips, etc. hard to find these kind. Enjoy it. Enjoy Austin, too.
tmar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks guys. Ill be sure to post as many pics as I can. i will do my best to document most of what i do to the bike while im doing it.

My VT1100 Bobber Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement