1984 Shadow 500 starter and starter clutch rebuild - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1984 Shadow 500 starter and starter clutch rebuild

okay i bought a 84 shadow 500 last weekend for $200. i couldnt pass up the deal. it is a little rough but whats the fun in buying a nice perfect bike for your first bike. why not learn a bit about riding and working on a cheap bike instead of a $4000 bike. its got 33,000 miles. which is okay. the guy i bought it from lives in the same city as i do (small town). i picked it up from his garage. we talked for about 45 minutes. so i kinda trust him as much as you can trust a guy from craigslist. but he says the carbs are tuned. he put stabilizer in the gas for the winter storage. he rode it for a few months last summer. and stopped riding cause the starter went out. then sold it to me. he said he took it to a guy who said the starter needed rebuilt. when i charged the battery and tried to start it it makes a grinding noise almost. it doesnt click or turn over just a nasty scream kinda noise. i tested the starter solenoid at the dealer and its good. i took the left crankcase cover off and the gear from the starter is barely touching the other gear. (pictures will be here soon) so i got a rebuild kit and figured that it needs new springs and could probably use new brushes ect. and thats where progress stops.. how the hell do you get the starter off to get to where i can rebuild it??
Steffenaj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

you have to pull the exhaust off the bike and drain the cooling system, then pull the coolant lines off as well then you should be able to get right at it. Had to do the same thing to my 500 last year. Little bit of work getting the exhaust off but not too bad of a job.

chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

exhaust comes out the right side on my bike? the starter and everything are on the left side. i dont get it
Old 02-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman View Post
you have to pull the exhaust off the bike and drain the cooling system, then pull the coolant lines off as well then you should be able to get right at it. Had to do the same thing to my 500 last year. Little bit of work getting the exhaust off but not too bad of a job.
^What he said.^

The bolts that hold the starter in, are on the right side. Takes a little bit of work, but all-in-all, not a tough job. I would buy a Clymer manual as well for your bike.

Ethan
Ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Yes starter will come out of the rite side of the bike after you remove the exhaust and one of the water pipes. only 2 bolts and the cable are holding it in. You need the Clymer book if you plan to do any work on this bike. the starter rebuild is not to bad. it made a world of difference on my bike.

1983 VT500C & 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Drifter 800
ernie12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

If I were you I wouldn't go through the hassle of removing your starter. Its not the problem anyway, Your starter clutch is the problem. No need to pull exhaust, etc when rebuilding the clutch.

1981 cb750c with 900f forks, cams, oil cooler.
1983 vt500c
1979 cbx
still_bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

I fixed an 80' cb750 that was doing the exact same thing. Just had to tighten 2 bolts holding the starter clutch down and replace the 6$ gasket I busted opening the crank case. Bought the bike for $300.
mikeshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well where is the starter clutch? I just got done rebuilding the starter. The starter was missing the two bolts holding it in but I replaced them. And I hooked the battery up to a battery pack and when I turn the key on some kind of fan turns on the front part of the engine "v" for some reason. Then I hit the start button and it just clicks. Did I rebuild it wrong or is that a completely new problem?
Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Its under your left side engine case, behind your charging rotor (flywheel) You have to get a rotor puller and remove the flywheel. Once off you will see it bolted to the back of the rotor with three bolts.

Just a click sounds like your start solenoid though, depending on where the click is coming from, did you starter spin freely after you rebuilt it?

You need a multimeter. Make sure that with the start button depressed that you have voltage at BOTH of the large studs at the start solenoid. If not, than your solenoid is giving you troubles.

1981 cb750c with 900f forks, cams, oil cooler.
1983 vt500c
1979 cbx
still_bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #10 (permalink)

i tested the starter solenoid before rebuilding the starter itself because i wanted to make sure it was the starter. i just feel like maybe i did something wrong with the rebuild cause before the starter spun freely and now it just clicks. i actually think the reason it spun freely before the rebuild is because it wasn't bolted in place and the gear that comes out the end and engages into the other gear wasnt actually touching the other gear. now when i put it back in, it touches the other gear and its not spinning. just clicking. is there a way to test the starter itself?? to be sure it isn't the problem? that way i can pinpoint if its the starter or the starter clutch. (most likely clutch)

by the way thanks for all the help on this. anyone know whwere i can get a cheap clymers manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement