Tire pressure? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tire pressure?

I just got a set of metzeler me880's put on the bike today. Trying to figure out proper tire pressures to run. It seems everyone is running odd pressures when I did a search. Should I be running the 40psi metzeler recommends in the front our the 29psi that Honda recommends? I wouldn't be debating this with myself so much if the pressures weren't so far apart. I bought the bike last May and it had mix matched tires. Dunlop d404 front and bridgestone exedra rear. Always ran Hondas 29 36 psi. Any help or opinions appreciated. It's a 2008 shadow spirit VT750C2F. Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch using Motorcycle.com App

08 VT750C2 Shadow Spirit
SnoGhost13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd go with what the tire manufacturer recommends.

JaYdEd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaYdEd View Post
I would split the difference between the two. Typically, I run about 4-5 lbs more than what the bike manufacturer recommends and that seems to get me good tire life and a comfortable ride.

2008 750 Aero
MudholeMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to SuperboyX

***HondaShadow.Net Patch Order Info***

SuperboyX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 06:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Here's a thought. The pressure listed on the tire is a maximum allowable pressure as recommended by the people who make the tire. Differences in weight load on the bike will make a difference in performance.

Start out at the level recommended by Honda. Ride for a few days at that level then adjust up a couple of psi at the time and ride at those levels. Somewhere in between the two levels you should find one that feels right for you and the conditions that you ride under(your weight and the load you carry with you as well as type of road surfaces and speeds you normal experience).

As long as you are not below the lowest level or above the highest level you should be ok.
Schattenreiter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was told not use the 29 psi that Honda lists. And Honda does say to increase rear tire pressure up to 36 if I remember correctly when riding 2 up. My dealer told me to run 36 in the front and 40 in the rear. That just sounded too high and it felt harsh over rough road areas too.

So I called a friend that has been riding for years and he also said that 29 was way too low, and the reason was possible tire and wheel damage from road hazards. That made sense so I have compromised at 32 front and rear. Then I raise the rear up to the 36 when riding 2 up which isn't that often.

tigrzeye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schattenreiter View Post
Here's a thought. The pressure listed on the tire is a maximum allowable pressure as recommended by the people who make the tire.
I'm not looking at the tire. Metzeler's website recommends 40 front and 42 rear. Rear is not really an issue but 40psi in a 90/90-21 front seems pretty high to me.
I set them at 32 front and 38 rear but thought I'd get some other input. It started raining before I got them back on the bike so haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G Touch using Motorcycle.com App

08 VT750C2 Shadow Spirit
SnoGhost13 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have the Avons on mine and run 34psi front and back, always have.
It's kind of like asking which oil do you use, you are going to get a ton of feedback all over the place.
How it rides will also determine where you set the pressure at.
jimnfor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Use the recommend pressure provided by the tire manufacturer for your bike. That will NOT be the number on the side of the tire. In general Matzler pressures are higher than the stock pressure. So the correct pressure for you will be somewhere BETWEEN the sticker on the bike and the max pressure on the tire. If you bike says 29lbs, my guess is that the Metz number will be in the 32-35lb range.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just like many things, regardless of who makes them recommended pressures are a starting point. Fine tune these suggestion to fit your own needs and style.

I don't like the ride of a stiff tire, so around town I'll run a lower pressure than I will when I want good mileage and handling out on the E-way at high speeds. Don't be afraid to experiment to see what works best for you.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.