Just another build thread - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just another build thread

Thought i would start this thread to keep track of my progress. I like to stay pretty organized so hopefully this will help me out along with a chance to get some constructive criticism.

Im 21 years old from around philly and this is my absolute first time diving into a motorcycle build. Im fairly handy and mechanically inclined thanks to my previous and ongoing project of jeeps and vw's. It also helps that i work on bicycles for a living.

On to my motorcycle history...

I got my first bike in 2010 for dirt cheap. It wasnt anything special but ran well and was a great first bike. It was an 83 silverwing. That stayed pretty stock other than some cut pipes.

My second and current bike is a 94 vt1100c that i found in decent condition on craigslist for 2k with 20k miles. My plan is to build a pseudo bobber/chopper that i can ride comfortably on longer rides while still looking decent.

This is how it all began, I rode it like that for a while until i recently started tearing into it.

Finally getting some garage treatment

Disassembly and planning

Made a licence plate bracket

Lowered the rear 4" with some hardtail brackets and started shaping the rear fender

Also started on the pipes and wiring. All of the switches and lights will be rewired for a cleaner look

Started stockpiling parts. New tailight to be mounted above the plate, some exhaust wrap, risers, bars, etc... Also sent a big box of parts to get powdercoated to a friend of mine. Usps lost it so im in the process of figuring out what happened to it

Got my bars in today so i threw them on real quick just to get an idea. I love them! Also started making a new bracket to mount the speedo on the upper fork tubes to clean up the front end.

Im pretty much at a standstill until i get parts and can work on reassembly. Until then all i have to worry about is paint. Still working on figuring it out. Possibly flat black with gloss black ghost flames. Maybe bomber shark? who knows, i change my mind too much
zippome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think its goin to look mean, I like those bars and pipes in my opinion you need to score some spoke wheels. Just a thought,..looks like you got some skill
Outkast78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Vortexer, right?

Nice work so far. Definately curious to see where it goes.

I don't ride to add days to my life, I ride to add life to my days.

Last edited by atdawnweride; 03-14-2012 at 11:23 PM.
atdawnweride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkast78 View Post
I think its goin to look mean, I like those bars and pipes in my opinion you need to score some spoke wheels. Just a thought,..looks like you got some skill
ive been thinking the same exact thing. find me a set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdawnweride View Post
Vortexer, right?

Nice work so far. Definately curious to see where it goes.
yup, recognize the name?

this is my other money pit
Old 03-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome View Post
yup, recognize the name?
name and I am familiar with your car's build thread as well

I don't ride to add days to my life, I ride to add life to my days.
atdawnweride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippome View Post

this is my other money pit
This is a cycle forum but I would like to see your work on the car. Got a link to your car build? What is it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com App

2006 750 Spirit
csk415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)

one thing I will never understand with chopper/bobber builds is the license plate. Remove it from the fender to clean it up, I get that, but then just sticking it on the side completely out of place and goofy... I just don't get it.
1981 Honda CB750F
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Sprint GT
2006 Kawasaki ZX14 (stolen)
2006 Yamaha FZ6 (sold)
1999 Honda Shadow Aero 1100 (sold)
1980 Yamaha XT500 (sold)
Buicknick72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to stubb

Looks good more pics!!lol i have a 96 vt1100c2 that i am wanting to do the same thing to
stubb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buicknick72 View Post
one thing I will never understand with chopper/bobber builds is the license plate. Remove it from the fender to clean it up, I get that, but then just sticking it on the side completely out of place and goofy... I just don't get it.
Where else are we going to put it? I will speak for mine. I have very little room to have a tail light or a plate on the back fender which is why mine is on the swing arm. I thought having the plate on the fender minus the light made it look out of place. It looked like a small mud flap. So the only place to put it is on the swing arm.

2006 750 Spirit
csk415 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdawnweride View Post
name and I am familiar with your car's build thread as well
too funny, whats your username there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk415 View Post
This is a cycle forum but I would like to see your work on the car. Got a link to your car build? What is it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle.com App
there you go,

VWVortex.com - Stupid build thread / Picture dump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buicknick72 View Post
I wanted to do something different and honestly still might but it just seems to work. I guess i have seen it so many times that it seems normal to me. I thought about attaching it to the hardtail brackets but it seems a bit out of place. if you have any other ideas im open to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubb View Post
Looks good more pics!!lol i have a 96 vt1100c2 that i am wanting to do the same thing to
bike is at a standstill until the post office finds my parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csk415 View Post
Where else are we going to put it? I will speak for mine. I have very little room to have a tail light or a plate on the back fender which is why mine is on the swing arm. I thought having the plate on the fender minus the light made it look out of place. It looked like a small mud flap. So the only place to put it is on the swing arm.
nailed it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.