Possible Starter Relay Issues? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible Starter Relay Issues?

Howdy everyone. Im pretty new here.

I drive a 98 Honda Shadow Vlx 600. I have devloped a severe electrical issue.

When I switch my key to the on position all the lights come on as usual. BUT, when I press the start button the relay clicks irratically(almost a electrocution sound). When that happens all the power cuts out and then there is no power what so ever. If I wait a bit, the power slowly fades back on. But after that nothing happens when I press the start button(the power cuts out momentarily tho).

Voltages: With key off ~12.6v
With key on ~12.6v
With key on /w start button pressed ~ 7v
After start button is released ~All over(v)

I have never delt with an issue like this before. Am I spot on with the Starter Relay being the issue? Or are there other known causes for my symptoms?

I guess if it is the starter relay, is there a rebuild kit or would you just replace the whole relay?

Thanks in advance everyone looking for some suggestions to work on.
boostedchicken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

I would say that your battery isn't up the job. Take it to a battery store and get it load tested.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

^^^ Agree ^^^

Sounds like the right symptoms for a bad battery cell (or two)
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"

Earthling789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I was first thinking the same. But then I was tinkering around with the relay and with the key in the on position, I can tap the bottem of the Starter Relay and it will make the lights go out. But maybe that is supposed to happen.

I will investigate more tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling789 View Post
^^^ Agree ^^^

Sounds like the right symptoms for a bad battery cell (or two)
This could very well be. I have had the bike for 5 years (holy smokes its been that long....) and have never replaced the battery.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Clean and tighten your battery cable connections at both ends. even if they look clean rub them with a little sand paper. have the battery ground cable disconnected at the battery when doing this so you dont short the system out.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well you all were completly correct.

I talked to my bro who is an Interstate Batteries dealer, he said his old Carquest battery did the same deal.

I had an Interstate Cycle Tron 2 delivered to the house, assembled/charged it. Bam problem solved!

I was just confused because all my other batteries that have failed actually wouldn't hold a charge, new lesson for me I guess.

Cheers.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: SW Georgia. Between Americus & Buena Vista - Ellaville and Plains

I won`t say the battery was good or not...
However, when you changed out the suspect battery, you mightta cured the loose disconnection causing these symptoms...
Glad to hear you`re "on the Road Again"...
Ride Safe,
Dennis
"Captain D" is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

You should still investigate why the battery went bad in the first place. You may not beout of the woods just yet. You should check the charging system and wiring before riding too far. Just sayin'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.