Honda Shadow Forums banner

84 Engine Rebuild

10K views 50 replies 7 participants last post by  mattyo 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I've recently removed my 1984 VT700c's engine and it's sitting in my living room. I'm attempting to diagnose a seized engine, but wanted to ask if there is anything I should replace/clean/repair while I've got it off the frame (granted I can fix the original problem:) ) I'm planning on starting with the top covers and working my way down till I find the break. Thanks!

#42 ·
Bought it on Tuesday this week. I've had problem sets due so I haven't been able to work on it until today:) What a day! Getting those motors out and then back in by myself was pretty exhausting. Luckily I was able to mount it up and reconnect the radiator lines. Now all I have left to do is swap out a few small parts and I'll be ready to fire it up! The engine came from an 85 and has a different carburetor than my 84 (looks like there's an extra back flow prevention or something). I just had my 84's cleaned, should I still use the 85's. Maybe I should clean them? Anyways, tomorrow I'll post pictures of my (fingers crossed) new ride:) Thanks for all your help so far, can't wait to see your rebuild finished.

#45 ·
The engine came from an 85 and has a different carburetor than my 84 (looks like there's an extra back flow prevention or something). I just had my 84's cleaned, should I still use the 85's. Maybe I should clean them? Anyways, tomorrow I'll post pictures of my (fingers crossed) new ride:) Thanks for all your help so far, can't wait to see your rebuild finished.
Do you know if the 85 model was from california? Our models have the added 15 lbs of "enviro-friendly" junk. I'm all about protecting the environment, but this stuff really couldn't make a huge difference. Anyway these carbs have an extra few ports to complete a circuit from the gas tank which brings gas fumes into the carbs (cause we don't want those fumes to escape into the environment)! hahah

I'm actually taking off my evaporative emission control system this weekend. shhhh don't tell anyone. I believe it maybe be contributing to my running lean (and burning more gas to compensate for the lack of power)... Just need to plug the right holes so that you aren't sucking extra air.

I'm waiting on a gasket set from vesrah and then i'm going to be starting the rebuild of my 84 vt700. I hope you veterans :)P) will follow my thread and help me with all my newbie questions. Any special tools I should buy ahead of time?

#50 ·
Wow sorry I've so lazy here guys...last week was finals and I was in pretty deep. But now I'm all done and ready to spend all my time on motorcycles again:) Looks like I'm a little behind on the questions, so here's my best shot.

The 85 didn't look like a Californian model since it didn't have the charcoal canister under the radiator. BUT, the carb does have a ton of extra hoses and what nots that I have no idea about. Honestly, I may try your trick of taking the extra stuff off because i'm having some idling issues as well.

I'm in nuclear physics here at UConn. I'm currently working with the GlueX experiment down at JLab. I'm trying to thin diamonds down to 20microns using an excimer laser so that we can use them as photon radiators through the bremsstrahlung process (that's the most sciency I've ever sounded :) ). Eventually I'll get into all that analysis stuff (yawn).

It is really weird that the three of us are all in the science field, all have basically the same bike, and all are into ripping them apart:) Although, I've kind of abandoned Mattyo in terms of the rebuild process, I'm still following both of your threads and learning loads! Post pictures soon!

Dan, if you ever see piston rings for sale again, buy them and you can make a fortune selling them to poor saps like us:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.