Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/)
-   Technical Discussion (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/)
-   -   Tire cleaning help--please (http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/72-technical-discussion/125972-tire-cleaning-help-please.html)

wdmullins 04-05-2012 12:11 PM

Tire cleaning help--please

I was attempting to bleed my front brakes on my 84 VT700C, after looking in MC reservoir and seeing this black soup where clear fluid should be. The right side went fine. The left side was another story.

The bleeder valve was frozen, I applied a bit too much torque and snapped it off right above the caliper. Fluid quickly collected into a nice puddle right below the caliper and got onto the side wall and tread of my front tire.

How do I safely clean the brake fluid off my tire, especially the tread?

Thanks for the advice.

Don

jimnfor 04-05-2012 12:24 PM

any type of degreaser you have. simple green. good water pressure. no big deal really. it won't penetrate the rubber that quick.

Earthling789 04-05-2012 01:15 PM

Dawn dish soap is one of the best degreasers (and cheapest) out there. Squirt some directly on the tire, scrub a bit with wet brush or wet sponge to get a lather going... then hose off until everything is removed, clean, and clear.

I use the same thing to clean grease off other things... mower, grill, bike, etc.... It works great!

You can dilute it for "less greasy" jobs... a teaspoon or two in a half-gallon of water... and scrub away!

byggd 04-05-2012 01:31 PM

Lemon Pledge :-D

wdmullins 04-06-2012 05:21 PM

Thanks for the tips. Went with the simple green, as that is what I use on most of the other greasy/oily cleanups on the bike. Just never tried it on rubber before this.

jpr1968 04-06-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by byggd (Post 1322078)
Lemon Pledge :-D

Lemon Pledge on a tire. I hope you were being sarcastic.

craig s. 04-06-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr1968 (Post 1322720)
Lemon Pledge on a tire. I hope you were being sarcastic.

maybe not to clean up brake fluid,
but to shine the sidewalls..yes indeed..spray some on a rag and wipe it on the sidewalls or get close enough to not over spray on to brake rotor/pads and tread(use best judgement,sometimes i do it this way) and spray directly on to sidewalls and wipe...my sig pic,including tires was just after wiping down with pledge.

Outkast78 04-06-2012 06:51 PM

+1 to the dawn dish soap it does wonders

jpr1968 04-06-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig s. (Post 1322723)
maybe not to clean up brake fluid,
but to shine the sidewalls..yes indeed..spray some on a rag and wipe it on the sidewalls or get close enough to not over spray on to brake rotor/pads and tread(use best judgement,sometimes i do it this way) and spray directly on to sidewalls and wipe...my sig pic,including tires was just after wiping down with pledge.

Wax on a tire, no matter where is not a good idea. Same thing as not using any tire shine products on the tires.

shadow247 04-07-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpr1968 (Post 1322786)
Wax on a tire, no matter where is not a good idea. Same thing as not using any tire shine products on the tires.

I've got over 30k miles on my bike and have been using interior vinyl dressing on the sidewalls for as long. It won't hurt a thing as long as you are careful to keep it off the tread. I always wet a rag with the dressing, wipe down the sidewall, then take a completely dry rag and "buff" it to a nice sheen.