86 vt 700 shadow fuel pump??????? - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 86 vt 700 shadow fuel pump???????

hi, iv got a problem with my 86 honda shadow vt700, tried finding a fuel pump but have been told that they have been discontinued.
iv also noticed something with the current fuel pump that might cause a bit of a problem and would be greatful for any advice.

the original pump has 3 wires leading from it, positive, negative and what a mechanic thought was a trigger but he wasnt 100% on this.
iv seen other pumps for 84, 85 shadows etc, and they all have 2 wires leading from them.
could anyone advise whether that 3rd wire is needed and whether a different shadow model would have a fuel pump that fits.

many thanks
Josh
shadow700 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes, the blue wire gets pulses from the bike's ignition module so that the pump only pumps when the engine is turning.

The black and green wires are positive and ground, respectively.

The 1986 VT700 has the control relay built into it, which is why it has three wires. The 1983-1985 VT750/VT700s have the relay as a separate module, external to the pump, which is why that pump only has two wires.

You can get a cheap fuel pump at most auto parts stores. But sure it's a low pressure pump, 2-3 PSI. A lot are made for fuel injection systems and run 70 or so PSI. You don't want that!

You can run the pump without that trigger wire, but be warned that if an accident happens, the fuel pump won't stop. It will just keep pumping fuel all over the scene of the crash.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for you help, much appreciated i will now be on the look out for a new pump.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

oh and something else i just remembered.

the mechanic who looked at my motorcycle said he thought the trigger was the green wire, im hoping he was wrong now youve said that, but will check it out.

are external relays reasonably cheap to pick up and fit?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Gas all over is never good

"Layde" , my 86 VT700
gordo2472003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

I scanned the schematic a few years back and posted it online. You can find it here:

http://www.tandj.net/~jpoirier/downloads/1986_VT700_Schematic.pdf

On a Honda, the dark green wires are always ground.

You can't use a standard relay for that trigger. (If you do, it will use up a lot of power and kill the ignition on the bike.) The relay in the fuel pump isn't a true mechanical relay. It's a few transistors and whatnot. If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could build one with a few Radio Shack parts. I'm not sure where you could buy one that does the same job. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. (maybe you could adapt the external one from a 1983-1985 Shadow 700?)

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

thanks for all your help, il let you know how i get on.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok so iv replaced the fuel pump but she still wont start.

iv also been told that aswell as the fuel pump, it could be the CDI unit that has stopped working.

anyone know how i can check if it is working or not and if its not working does anyone know of anywhere to get hold of one.
either a genuine part or is there a CDI unit on the market perhaps used for another bike that will work on my honda shadow?

many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.