'86 VT1100 Pulse Generator - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default '86 VT1100 Pulse Generator

After months of trying to figure out why my bike was conking out when hot, we traced it down to the pulse generator. Now another frustrating 2 weeks of looking for the part on the web, calling all over the nation, and posting on salvage yard web sites -- still can't find one. ANY IDEAS ANYONE?
kirktjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage

You may have to get one from a different model bike and modify it to work on yours. I,m not sure which ones are adaptable. but i do know its possible. Perhaps someone who has done this will chime in.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

The pulse generators for most of the 1980s Hondas were about the same. The bracket that they were attached to was different to fit different engines, but getting a set of pulse generators from a different model and re-working the bracket to fit your bracket is probably your only choice.

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Justin, I would love it if you are correct but ... others on the web are saying that the pulse generators have to be specific for the motor size, and very few are interchangeable. Nevertheless, it's worth a try. Do you know any one that has successfully interchanged these for different models?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Try motolane.com I have found all the hard to get parts for my 84 700 there
superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tubes probably hit on it. the only real difference between any of the generator used on Hondas of a given year is the length of the wire and the mounting bracket. BOTH of witch could be worked around. The generators are afterall just a magnetic pick-up.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I do NOT have a 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 pulse generator on my 1986 Honda Shadow VT1100 and it runs awesome!

I believe mine is off of a goldwing.

Yes, some modification was necessary but it was easy stuff (for my skill level anyhow).
Old 06-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Part of the joy and triumph of running ANTIQUE motorcycles is working around little problems like discontinued parts! Sounds like '80s Goldwing pulse generators are a direction to pursue!

--Justin
1986 Honda Trail 110 (Postie Bike)
1987 Honda Rebel 450
1973 Honda Mini Trail 50
tubes_rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I'll tell you the outcome after we try the work arounds. :/
Old 07-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default Outcome

We found a new pulse generator from a 1987 vt1100 and modified it to fit my 1986. Accidentally switched the wires because the color coding was reversed, but after figuring that out, the bike works ok. I say "ok" because it is still stumbling below 3000 rpms (and yes, the carbs have been recently rebuilt).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.