carb settings confirmation VT750 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default carb settings confirmation VT750

who else has a VT750DCA (mine is 2003) - with the follwoing settings/conditions/results:
stock air filter & box
Cobra streetrod exhaust with baffles
104 front cylinder jet
106 rear cylinder jet
40 slow jet in both carbs
1 shim on both needles - 2nd notch on the e-clip on the needle
air fuel mix screw ________________ turns out? currently 2 3/8 per shop manual
carb sync set with the butterfly on each carb just on the back edge of the #1 of 4 holes in the venturies

This is where I am starting after the fuel system restoration due to rusty gas tank filling the whole fuel system with rust. I got the bike used 15K miles came with the 104/106 jets and the Cobra pipes. I was running very good until i screwed up and ran the petcock on reserve for an extended period and suck all of the rust out of the tankl and in to the fuel filter, fuel pump, lines and carbs. The filter, pump, lines have been replaced the carbs have been removed dis-assembled and torn down completely cleaned and put back together. there was a lot of rust in each bowl and the area under the vacuum slide had a significatn amount of crud and the front cylinder carb had crud inside the air cutoff diaphram - all holes, jets, passages, needles, air fuel screws and passages, diaphrams, vacuum slides etc were cleaned with carb cleaner, compressed air and wire strands roto-rootered every hole. Now i have to put it all back together and tune the carb air fuel mix, engine idle and sync.

anything i am missing that I need to consider or do before i re-install the carbs and do the a/f mix/idle/sync?

Last edited by weracerc; 08-17-2012 at 10:16 AM.
weracerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Sounds like a good plan to me. Just make sure the jets and passages are completely clean before reinstall.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Final carb setting vary for each bike and setup. Final pilots screw setting will be somewhere between 1 and 3.5 turn and needle setting between 1st and 5th grove and up to 2 shims.... Really depends on the goals of the rejet, pop control, mpgs or performance three goals 3 different setups.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

at this point i would be happy to have the same running condition/mileage/performave I had before th restoration project (no decel pops no hesitation in any throttle position, no surging in any throttle setting, 42-45mpg, slightly cold natured choke required at <60F air temps, crisp responsive throttle response at all ranges of throttle)... ...so the parts that came out are going back in just cleaner the main setting i am concerned with is the air fuel mix screws and the sync - just how far from the manual settings will be needed and will they be mirrored front cylinder to back cylinder or should i expect there to be some difference from one carb to the other?...both are set right now at 2 3/8 out.

Last edited by weracerc; 08-17-2012 at 11:25 AM.
weracerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

First to the specks in the manual. If you read the manual carefully you'll find that that number of turns out setting, is just a starting point, same with the butterfly setting (idle&linkage). The final adjustments are made with motor running and warmed-up, is specific to each cylinder and carb. They might not be the same # of turns but should be within a turn of each other. Final synchronization comes after everything else is done, except maybe replugging the pilots.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have a '02 ACE 750 and I believe I have the Cobra drag pipes. They were on the bike when I bought it. The bike pops when I decel from a mid rpm range. Is this bad for the bike?? The prior owner told me the bike was rejetted but I would feel better if I knew for myself. The exhaust pipes are also blue which I heard was caused by running lean too.
StlDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement