83 Honda VT 750 Rebuild - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

Well I got the crankcase split got everything out exept the trans, Now the question. how do you get the trans out? do you just pull up on it and if so does it stay all together?
kenny83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny83 View Post
Well I got the crankcase split got everything out exept the trans, Now the question. how do you get the trans out? do you just pull up on it and if so does it stay all together?

Yes, that is the tricky part. It is possible to get the trany out all in one shot, (I managed to pull it off) but it wasn't very easy. I kinda had to lean the crankcase over and slowly pull on the different sets of gears to get everything to come out together. Slow and easy, you can do it!

1983 vt750
- "Fra-Hankenstein"
mattyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #33 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

Got the trans out the only thing left is the water pump and the pinion gear for the final drive

Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM   #35 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Czech

Pics please.....

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech View Post
Pics please.....
+1
Not to hassle you, kenny, but yeah, seeing some pics of the work in progress is always a bonus!

Good work getting the trany out. Did you manage to keep it all together? I wired mine together after I got it out to make sure it didn't slip apart when I wasn't looking.

1983 vt750
- "Fra-Hankenstein"
Old 11-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #37 (permalink)

I didn't take any pics of the motor tear down this time. I am with the motor I am using this was just a test run to see how hard it was and go ahead and make mistakes if I was gonna. The trans came pretty much in one piece I used tie raps on the shafts to keep the gears on. It's pretty cool to see how all this works I have rebuilt a lot of car motors but this is my first bike rebuild. I promise plenty of pics when I start to take mine apart

Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #38 (permalink)

well I got a little progress done on bike today. I got the air box and overflow tank back on. Does anyone know if you can still get the grommets that hold the relays and fuel pump and stuff on I had some that was rotten.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	83 VT 750 (6).jpg
Views:	277
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	8845   Click image for larger version

Name:	83 VT 750 (7).jpg
Views:	218
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	8846  
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #39 (permalink)

Looking good!!
What about the removable frame, the one you have to remove to install the engine? Aren't you going to powder coat it?

Some of the rubber grommets can still be found. But I can't find the fuel pump holder. Only with a fuel pump attached to it and they are expensive. Try to convince one of those ebay guys to sell you just the rubber holder.
vt750 fuel pump | eBay
luisr320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #40 (permalink)

Looking good, Kenny. You guys are making me wish I would have restored my whole bike and not just rebuild the engine. Oh well, I have next year.
Yeah, as Luis said, finding just the pump holder might be difficult. If you have a local mech nearby, you'll probably have better luck there getting your hands on just the pump holder. Or at least buying a pump and holder for cheaper than ebay is offering. But if Luis can't find it, it's probably very slim-pickins.

1983 vt750
- "Fra-Hankenstein"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.