Sputter Sputter... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 07:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

I agree with what you're saying Wallasan. I'm not going to vouch for the gas being good. as for Dauntae, you may be right in your observation, to make it up to my in laws work, I pulled over many times on the road and every time i turned the bike off for a min or so, it would ride fine the next time it started, for may be like a mile and sputter again and I would have to turn it off again. I basically rode a long way in the left turn lane only. it was quite an experience.

Vicariously I....live while the whole world dies...
bleedingsujit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

But did you check the fuel filter? Just because you doubt it, doesn't mean don't check it. For a couple dollars it's an easy fix. At 23 miles, you have probably just consumed the fuel in the reserve. Drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, and fill back up, then give it a go.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
jkennatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

I just got here and started the bike and rode it for 20 miles and couldn't replicate the problem. I bought the yellow bottle of heet just in case but decided to try the bike before putting it in the tank and a now it's running fine. I have no clue what happened. But I am guessing that it's going to come back. I poured that bottle of water remover as a precaution. Once again thanks a lot for your help guys. I'll keep you posted if it happens again.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 10-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

I was right with my assumptions. The problem has come back n guess what? It died 2 miles away from the service center. What a luck! This time the problem came back after riding an additional 180 miles approx. since the problem was initially reported. Now the issue is that when i roll the throttle, it doesnt rev. n then it sorta like misfires n jerks thw bike n so on. A few times it even shut off as soon as I let go on the clutch n roll the throttle. And yet it idles like nothings wrong at all. Really out of clue here. Typing this while sitting in the banks parking lot. Very hot here today.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)

I got the bike 10 days ago after the dealer kept it for a whole week and still couldn't manage to replicate the problem even though the bike got to the shop in a "not running" condition and that i let them ride it an additional 50 miles to see if the problem would come back. Nope, nothing happened. I let them do the following service:
spark plug change
adjust idle throttle (they said the throttle didn't have any free play and idle rpm was too high)
valve adjustment
Since the day I got the bike, it has felt really different riding it. the idle vibration is higher that what it was before. it doesn't feel as responsive as it used to. then today after putting nearly 300 miles on the odo since getting the bike back, the problem came back. throughout the week i rode 20 miles one way and no problems, today i rode nearly 70 miles and it sputtered again. on a straight road at 60 mph, i could hear something different, it felt like something on the bike was falling apart, as if whatever it was, was rubbing against something, and the friction was increasing or so. slowly and gradually this kept going on leading up to the bikes demise in the middle of the highway. 60 miles away from home and this happens to me.
And this is what i don't get:
After turning of the bike and letting it sit for a minute or so, i was able to ride another 15 miles more before it started to sputter again. then I put the bike on neutral while it was doing abt 50 mph, shut it off, 5 seconds later, turned it on, put it in gear and it runs again for another 15 miles or less. I just made it home, a whole 2 hours late.
I'm really clueless as to what's going on. I mean I can't be on only one to be having this kinda problem. starting to get really disappointed with my bike.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Could be an overheating electrical component. Either way, with documentation, they should make it right, by repair or replacement.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I wish certainty was not an issue here. The shop doesn't know what the heck it is. I've never seen a problem like this. Like I said I'm completely clueless.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement