Project lead Sled - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Project lead Sled

Since project bagger is taken, I have gone with Project Lead Sled. In homage to the taildraggers of the 50's, since I have a bit of that look going on. I got all my boxes of parts in and started to mess around a bit. I am uploading some pics from my phone, so pics to follow.

Theme of this winter? Tail dragger bagger. Initial results look promising, I can see it starting to come together and the ideas are flowing. I just hope I can pull off what I see in my brain.

750shadowC2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Here are some of my new parts.....

Simple things here, switch covers, new flame levers and a flame shifter linkage for a Harley that I will figure out a way to adapt to metric. You can also see the abs pipe that I am working on. I figure I will build an exhaust set out of pipe, then convert to metal.

The backrest I will make into a quick release setup. I don't want it on all the time.

Now here are the goodies.....

Bags and fairing.

Now on to placement of the bag supports.

I will be modding the bags to a sturdier setup, they are plastic, but the exact shape I was looking for. I am thinking a checker plate backing on the inside, and some fibreglass in the corners and such. They aren't th best quality, but should be fine once I am done with them.

More pics to come.... damn phone won't upload to photobucket.... Grrr.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

Didn't realize how bad of a pic this was till I uploaded it.... LOL

You can see the switch covers and the flame levers behind the mirror. Oops. Oh well, you get the idea. I now realize the only thing that stand out is the brake master and the clutch lever perch. Hmmm??? Paint 'em? Can't chrome them.

Here is a bit of a back shot of the bags on.

They are just temp mounted with two bolts per side. But I like it. Not sure about the lights though, although I did order the clear light set in case I wanted to use those. I think it will be a couple nights in the garage with some buds and beers before I figure it out this time. Leave the bag lights and ditch the fender lights? Fill in the bag lights and keep the fender lights? Keep 'em both? Find something new? Not sure yet. But one thing I do know is I certainly need to build a filler piece between the bags and the fender and it needs dual side exhaust under each bag. That is a certainty.

Side view...

Here I just set the fairing on to get an idea of what I need to fab up for mounts. It fits amazingly well. Conforms perfect to the Kapsco light which I wasn't sure how it would work. Lines up perfect with the bars, should work out wonderfully.

So far, the only thing I am unhappy with is the crash bar. I figured I would have to fab up some mounts because of my forward extensions, but the damn thing isn't centered. Does anyone else have a crash bar on a C2 or Phantom? Does yours stick out even amounts on each side? The top mount is off to one side and the bottom 'legs' that head to the mounts are different lenghts, so it's not a mistake. It looks like they purposely made it like this. Weird.... I just realized I never got a pic of it either. There's always tomorrow.

Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Love the look of the back end! That fender is awesome
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

get a third light like in the bags and french it into the fender, run all three, center brake/tail bags turn/tail.
oblivion_twister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gmck

I really like it. wonder if the rear would look better if the frnder stopped at the bottom of the bags. I'm looking at it on my phone so its not a very big picture. But anyway I like.
gmck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
pip

Send a message via AIM to pip Send a message via Skype™ to pip

Wow, that is awesome! I love it. You have to post lots of pictures so I live vicariously through you. :p

I like oblivion twisters idea. the lights on the bags look awesome, defiantly the right style, and then using the third would be great for a break light. Do you have a color in mind? I think that will influence leaving them red, or going clear.

Have you thought about pipes? I have a set of Harley touring pipes that might look good on your bike. I haven't decided if they look good on my bike yet, but I am leaning toward selling them and getting a different set.
pip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Did a little work on the exhaust today. I actually think it might work. LOL I took my stock exhaust out of the rafters and chopped it in half before the mufflers. The outside casing is 2 1/4 while the actual pipe inside is small, likely 1/14?

My thought is to weld a plate over the end with a hole cut in the center. Welded to both the inside pipe and the outside casing it would seal the gap. I am thinking to then run back with 2 1/4 inch pipe to the exhaust tips. Is this going to create to big of a system or will it still work? The 750 isn't a HP beast so I can't really stand to lose a lot but can't see how I can hurt it too much seeing as how I will still have some stock exhaust pipe to block things up a bit. I just need to find some 2 1/4 bends now. Sadly I have access to 2 inch and 2 1/2..... LOL Just my luck.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

That shot from the rear looks awesome. It looks like it is slammed.
deekortiz3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

I personally like that the rear fender extends beyond the bags. It gives interest for the eyes to follow. If it were all straight across, I think it would just be too clean and lose some of its appeal. I also like the idea of getting a third light to match the bags for the fender, however, I have seen a bike like this that had a nice design cut into the rear fender with a brake light behind it. That was really cool! One had the face of a jack-o-lantern and one had the words "back Off." They were both very sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.