Windshield question - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Windshield question

I have an 02 shadow ace 750

I just got a windshield for it 17in tall (from top of head light cut out)

Just took it now for a test ride and after I get past 45 mph. I get this horrible g-force feeling towards my head and my helmet starts to shimmy (full face helmet)

I had the windshield up all the way on the bracket and tried lowering. That helped a little but I still get that terrible pressure.

I have a bad headache now and I'm not sure what to do with this windshield.

Any thoughts??

Thanks
Cportera12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

buffeting is what it's called, you can chase it around and may not get past it. You said lowering it helped, where is the top of the shield vs the bridge of your nose when riding? Most say it should line up between the tip of the nose and middle of the bridge. Only other thing you can do is play with the angle of the shield, from there get lowers some say those help.
oblivion_twister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Also, the shield should be installed so it has the same angle as your forks. I had the same problem and finally got rid of mine by adjusting the top to between the tip of my nose and my upper lip and adjusting the angle to the forks. Not so bad now and works well!!

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think that the windshield is to small. I am 6'4" and judging by sitting on the bike it looks like the top of the windshield goes to my chin.

I will know more later when someone can take a picture of me on it so I can get a real perspective.

I have Memphis shades windshield and I'm not sure that I can adjust the angle on it.
Cportera12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cportera12 View Post

I have Memphis shades windshield and I'm not sure that I can adjust the angle on it.
The MS brackets are adjustable in every direction.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

I added lowers to my bike and it cleared up about 95% of the buffeting. If you put your hand down around the gas tank, you'll be able to feel air blowing up and eventually toward your head. That is where the air came from after I installed my windshield. Although the lowers don't look the "prettiest" they do the job. I installed Memphis Shades lowers. National Cycle makes a chrome set of lowers that look really nice. I would have had to install a light bar in order for those to fit on my bike and it was just too much money. Check out my photo album for more pictures of the lowers.

Also, here is a link to a YouTube video by CruiserCustomizing.com on windshield sizing.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cportera12 View Post
I think that the windshield is to small. I am 6'4" and judging by sitting on the bike it looks like the top of the windshield goes to my chin.
It's not your total height that matters. It is your sitting height. I'm 5' 11" but I go with a 21" windscreen because I "sit tall". (That means my legs are short.)

That said, if it lines up with your chin then it is definitely too short.

To get the ideal height, you'll need a helper. Hold a string to the bridge of your nose. Have the helper hold the other end level over the headlight and measure up to the string from the top of the headlight along the same angle as the forks. Deduct 1/2" to 1" and you'll have it. (Look at my bike and you'll see what I mean.)

If you've got a Memphis Shades, you can buy replacement plastic and move the hardware. Not difficult at all.

With the correct height, most of the buffeting should come from the bottom. Minimize the gap around the headlight and you'll get less buffeting. And you don't need the headlight cutout as wide as the front of your headlight.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

didn't notice anyone mentioning lowers, I have never liked windshield because I always had problems with buffering, when I got my sabre it had a windshield on it, in 6'1 and this windshield didn't bother me, why? well it also has lowers on it and it makes a big difference
Old 10-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've said it before and I'll repeat it once again. There is no proper height for windshields. Buy 'em and set 'em for what works for you. That may be nose high, or it could be chest to eyebrow high or higher.

Many touring scooters come from the factory with windshields that are meant for the rider to look thru. Look at the Goldwing. No one is going to look over that shield. Just keep both sides of the shield waxed, and rain is less of a problem.

Whatever you do, lowers will likely help reduce wind buffeting.

gat803 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yep, always heard, "look over", got my Plexifairing 3 and this thing is tall, I look through this thing,,no problems, and zero buffeting.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.