turn signal wire harness - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default turn signal wire harness

i found the wire that goes to the left rear turn signal is crimped under the seat (bare wire) 02 shadow spirit 1100 do i have to replace the whole harness or is there a another way the light comes on but doesn't blink i just changed the relay it worked for a week now the light comes on but no blink HELP!!!!! any ideas thanks Chef Al

Last edited by chefal; 10-24-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added words
chefal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm sorry, but could you please explain a bit more what is the problem with the wire? Is it bare? Can you post a photo of it?
luisr320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

i will get a pic of it, yes the wire is some what cut (bare) when i replaced the flasher i have to take the seat off and the wire was sticking to the little nipple on the bottom of the seat so i just taped it up hoping not to short it out. it worked for a couple of days then today it just lites up i checked the wire and when i put the left rear signal on lights up the wire got warm?? i hope there is a cure cause honda wants $100 and sum for a new harness and iam not sure about doing it myself they will beat me up to have them do it iam sure
Old 10-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

If it is just 1 wire then you can do it yourself. It will probably cost less than $1 to fix a broken wire. Do you have a multimeter? If so you can find out if it is just the wire or worse. I am just assuming from your posts that you discovered the wire, taped it up and it worked for a few days. And now it just stays on and gets hot. It sounds like you may have burned out the flasher by using a weak wire. I would splice in another wire to fix the cut one. Then test from there.

Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some just don't turn up at all.

Sam Ewing
pctec860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Ok guys heres the pic of wire

Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

do all the signals just light up and not flash?
is that the flasher in the backround of the pic?
you need to splice that back together, if its the ground for the flasher, the turn signals will not work, just stay lit. theres not going to be enough current passing through that ground, causing what your experiencing, and it will just get hot.

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Is that a single wire or are there a couple of wires inside the black tube? If it is a single wire, if it section is reduced, it may be too thin to carry the necessary current and as a result, it will heat up.

If there are multiple wires inside the black tube (the one with the cut) then maybe you have more than one wire cut in there, and they may be in a short circuit, and as a result, they would heat up too. But in this case, a fuse should have blown.

So, pry inside the black tube and see what's going on in there. If you see more than one bare wire, just get some isolation tape and fix it. Your flasher may need to bee replaced again.
luisr320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

There are two wires in the protective jacket. If it got one wire that bad it could have a nick in the other causing a short. I would test this with a volt meter put it on ohms and see if you have a short if open it will read all zeros if shorted you will have some numbers come up.

I have the same bike and was having issues with left turn signal not working and then working and back and forth. I traced the wiring down and found a splice in it that was shorting out so I replaced tail light with new one that had the full length harness with it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Motorcycle.com Free App
fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Just make sure when you finally get it working and fixed to route the cables so it won't happen again. Would hate to do all that work, just to have it happen again in a few months. By the way the pictures look you crushed the wires in the jacket. Do the OHMS test on the wires to determine which one is bad. Fix the bad wire, then wrap it all back up good to weatherproof it and give a little added protection for the wires bouncing around.

Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some just don't turn up at all.

Sam Ewing
pctec860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

scrapdog they just lite up i believe that's the fuel relay, signal relay is up front under the tank to me it looks like one big wire with a bunch of thin bare wires in it lusir320 yea the fuse is good, fairlane ill get my meter and try it does that wire from the rear just plug in up under the tank that would be great can you splice the wire together it loos like a bunch of thin bare ones inside not just one or two separate wires thanks keep it coming guys
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.