Coolant change - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Coolant change

Getting ready to do a coolant change on my 2002 shadow sabre 1100. Looks simple enough, pull the tank back take the radiator cap off, drain the overflow tank and radiator, flush and refill. Any thing I should look for before I start or hints that might help. I have done this several times on other bikes but this is the first time on the shadow,

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have it right. On my 1997 ACE it was possible to remove the neck cover and radiator cap without pulling the tank. Use only distilled water throughout. Some say to pull the lower hose to drain but i found the Honda shop manual recommendation to open the lower drain bolt on the water pump to work quite well. I used an aluminum lasagna pan to collect the dripping coolant as it could get messy.

1997 American Classic Edition Shadow VT1100 C2

Last edited by bikenut; 10-27-2012 at 06:13 PM.
bikenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenut View Post
You have it right. On my 1997 ACE it was possible to remove the neck cover and radiator cap without pulling the tank. Use only distilled water throughout. Some say to pull the lower hose to drain but i found the Honda shop manual recommendation to open the lower drain bolt on the water pump to work quite well. I used an aluminum lasagna pan to collect the dripping coolant as it could get messy.

You can drain the coolant either way, using the plug does give better spill controll.
knucklebuster69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I pulled the hose myself.....just seemed simpler to me. I don't think flushing is really necessary unless it's been sitting a while but I'm sure it can't hurt either.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Also, use silicate free coolant, regular stuff eats o-rings.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

... and don't forget to burp it to get any air out.

G.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I bought the Honda pre mixed coolant. It was $19.00 but only do it every 2 years so no big deal to use the Honda stuff. I was going to use the drain plug on the pump, I never thought of pulling the bottom hose, I'll have to check that out.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

I would pull the hose, then put a garden hose in the filler cap and flush the radiator, it gets wet and messy but you get a lot of gunk out, If you can spare the time remove the thermostat because the housing gets a build up of rusty looking gunk and you get more pressure from the hose through the radiator..but really your first post seems to show that you know everything you need to..

John.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
I would pull the hose, then put a garden hose in the filler cap and flush the radiator, it gets wet and messy but you get a lot of gunk out, If you can spare the time remove the thermostat because the housing gets a build up of rusty looking gunk and you get more pressure from the hose through the radiator..but really your first post seems to show that you know everything you need to..

John.
Wait…so flush it with the garden hose? I thought only distilled water? Or flush with hose then distilled water? Haha I've got to do this soon bike is 07 and no clue if previous owner ever did it.

Just Cruise...
Shadow ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks again. I will flush it out and I never about the thermostat, I'll do that also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.