flooded - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default flooded

My bike got flooded, somewhat up to the middle of sidecovers. Salt water. Once it dried, whatever water out of those pipes "drained" by having the bike tilted down the hill, connections inspected under the right sidecover - perfectly dry, I started the bike - all lights worked, all started as it should. The bike ran for a mile as always, but started sputter, as if out of gas and then the engine died. Would not restart, with choke or without, it did for a short while, but not as strong as usual, for a minute or so. Then it does not really start at all. I inspected both sidecovers, this time - under the left side the "box" with a 30 fuse was wet and green oxide started forming - that is the only problem unit visible to the eye after a close visual inspection. I cleaned it with WD40, waiting for it to dry, but am not attempting to start any more (battery is probably low by now)... Any syggestions? PS. I hosed it with fresh water as soon as I could.
harpomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could be wet connection in the electrical somewhere. WD40 Bath is called for NOT the garden hose. Wayer is the problem, salt just makes it worse. Once you realled clean out the water from the electrical and then PRAY there was no water hining in the cases.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Did you drain the Oil and fill with new?
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

All the wiring that was in the salt is now or will be ruined. Most the metal will in time as well...

Rinse off as good as you can, remember what happened and replace stuff as necessary...

you can fight it, but you can win....

My new to me 1984 VT700C

superdiver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did not drain the oil.. Filter replacement as well? How could it get to the oil - seems there'd be no way, but obviously my mechanical "know how" is very limited...

Last edited by harpomatic; 10-31-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it ran for a mile or so - could I get water into the cases in the process?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Your engine case is not airtight, and it was completely underwater.
Check your oil on the dipstick, it is probably overly full and milky.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

You did right by rinsing it off with fresh water. It does help by diluting the salt, but you will still likely have problems because of it. All fluids should be changed as well. The crankcase is not airtight, as the oil will expand as it gets hot, so needs to breathe.

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

got it. When i checked earlier, the oil looked "amber" colored, not overly full.. What does the fact that it ran at first tell you (hoping for good news). Also, if to assume the worst - how do I get the water out of cranckcases? Cylinders - where not submerged entirely - are they safe?

Last edited by harpomatic; 10-31-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Before you started it the oil would look normal because the oil is floating on the water.

After it runs the trouble begins.

Drain it. No other way to be sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.