Paint - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Prep will make or break any paint job no matter the paint used. You're right but nothing is a substitute for a paint system.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

"Never let anyone stand in the way of your freedom. Live to Ride, Ride to Live"
Ride bell by Robert "Guardian" Woods.
Raven080510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #12 (permalink)

Also, if you'll read about that clear, it's in fact a 2 part clear, as I was talking about before, that has a button on the can for sending the activator in to the can to mix with the clear. That is a great alternative. I myself use a 2K primer/sealer from Dupont (about $125 for a gallon setup, not bad at all). The new 2K products, which are actually an epoxy, work fantastic. I'd also like to add, if you take anything down to metal you'll need a sealer and a primer, or like I use, a 2k primer/sealer in one. Without it, if there is any metal exposed, it could rust or begin to lift from the metal since it has nothing to bond with properly. If you have a good base, for example, factory paint that isn't taken down to the metal, you won't have to use a primer. Just wet sand the part with 320grit until smooth, clean the area throroughly (Dawn dish soap is great just make sure the part dries completely before painting), wipe down with a tack cloth, and you are ready to spray your paint. The can primer has a tendency to take FOREVER it seems like to dry enough to watersand, and it also has a tendency to 'bleed through' the paint (you can see through the paint where it was sprayed). I know because we used to use SEM High Build Spray Pimer in our shop to do minor repairs, but have quit using it because of the problems it causes.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

I won't comment on the quality of that aerosol clear, as I have never used it.

As has been said, prep is very important for any repaint project. If you can apply a clear over the sprayt can paint, it will definately increase the durability to some extent, depending on the quality of the clear. The main job of the clear is to protect from UV and wear. One issue with spray can paint is that it is thinned out for spraying. That causes the application to be very thin to avoid runs. For the color coat, that is not an issue as long as you get color coverage. For the clear, the amount of protection is dependant on the film thickness. You should apply several coats, with plenty of flash time (drying to prevent runs)between each coat.

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996shadow View Post
I won't comment on the quality of that aerosol clear, as I have never used it.

As has been said, prep is very important for any repaint project. If you can apply a clear over the sprayt can paint, it will definately increase the durability to some extent, depending on the quality of the clear. The main job of the clear is to protect from UV and wear. One issue with spray can paint is that it is thinned out for spraying. That causes the application to be very thin to avoid runs. For the color coat, that is not an issue as long as you get color coverage. For the clear, the amount of protection is dependant on the film thickness. You should apply several coats, with plenty of flash time (drying to prevent runs)between each coat.
+1. Sounds like you've done a little painting yourself, my friend. I love my job. It's definitely an art, whether it be hobby or, like myself, your profesion.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Raven.... I have been doing body work and paint for about 40 years. I work in a collision shop during the day and do muscle car restorations and paint at home.

To correct a couple of beliefs let me add this.

A 2K primer is not the same as an epoxy primer. Epoxy is a completely different animal. Where a 2K primer will cure faster with the addition of heat, an epoxy will only cure by chemical reaction, but can be slowed down if the temperature is too low, as it becomes dormant, normally below about 60 degrees. It is also important to make sure that, if you have large areas where there is bare metal, that the primer used as a "self etching primer", or it will not have the proper adhesion to the bare metal. Keep in mind that some people will prime a bare metal surface with a typical 2K primer and then drive/ride the vehicle. If it gets wet, the moisture will soak into the primer and attack the bare metal, causing rust.

As far as cleaning the surface before paint, that is very important also. You can clean the surface with dish soap, but there is a chance of leaving a soapy film if it is not rinsed completely. It also should be wiped with a dedicated wax and grease remover, or you can make your own. Simply mix 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water. Wipe the surface with a saturated cloth , or spray on with a hand sprayer, and wipe off immediatly with a clean dry cloth.

Good luck

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1996shadow View Post

To correct a couple of beliefs let me add this.

A 2K primer is not the same as an epoxy primer. Epoxy is a completely different animal. Where a 2K primer will cure faster with the addition of heat, an epoxy will only cure by chemical reaction, but can be slowed down if the temperature is too low, as it becomes dormant, normally below about 60 degrees. It is also important to make sure that, if you have large areas where there is bare metal, that the primer used as a "self etching primer", or it will not have the proper adhesion to the bare metal. Keep in mind that some people will prime a bare metal surface with a typical 2K primer and then drive/ride the vehicle. If it gets wet, the moisture will soak into the primer and attack the bare metal, causing rust.
+1 Glad to see another body/paint man on the forum. My family has been in the business for about 45+ years. I don't work for myself anymore, but I do work for a trucking company now as their full-time body/paint man and do work for the owners and my fam/friends on the side when they need it.

Thanks for cleaing that up on the 2Kprimer. Our paint rep just recently talked us in to going with a 2K over the traditional laquer primer from Dupont we have used forever. Still learning about this new primer, and just going by what our paint man is telling us. I apologize for leaving out the mention of an etching primer, tbh I had let it slip my mind. You don't use it, you lose it.. and etching primer is a product we just dont use much of anymore, since most of our parts nowadays on these trucks we have are made of a type or form of fiberglas, smc plastic, or a mixture of both.

Bottom line for original poster is this- contrary to the seemingly VERY popular belief that you can obtain long-lasting, professional results from an aerosol aren't true. If you're looking to get the best look and best durability, spend the money on the right products the first time, or you'll be back in to the paint again- and it is no fun having to go back in to spray paint.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Well these guy are right because I learned my lesson the hard way! I used spray can paint/clear coat on my gas tank I got from oreally's and spilled some gas on the tank the other day and the clear coat just started to peeling off! Now I have to start all over again and believe me Im going to do it right this time! These guy have good advice here I wish I would have done my homework first, it would have save me time and money...
Rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #18 (permalink)

Garage

Has anyone tried using a Krebs Automotive paint spray kit to paint their bike? I have one and was thinking of repainting next spring. Just not sure if I should even attempt it with the Krebs or take it in for paint? I got the kit from a friend that was going to use it to paint his car, then decided to sell the car before he had a chance to use it. It is still brand new, just a few years old and dusty.

Hard work spotlights the character of people; some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some just don't turn up at all.

Sam Ewing
pctec860 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)

I don't know if I would use it myself, but I don't know anything about that stuff. The fact that is 'a few years old' and 'dusty' is the first turn off. Paint separates over time, and the conditions it was stored in will greatly effect shelf life. I'm at the shop now so it's a pain to look anything up, but shoot us a website on that Krebs stuff and I'll take a look at it for you. Anyone else that can chime in on the stuff, please do.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Garage

So, how does one find out what color code his bike is?
jah2707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.