Paint - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Paint

if I took my paint code into an auto body or maybe even a Lowes, could I get a can of it or even possible a spray can?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

you should be able to get it from a body shop in a can but not a lowes. you can order a spray can online from Touchup Spray Paint for your Car Truck SUV Van & Motorcycle or the another one that i cant remember the name of right now. im sure someone else will remember it.

Malacore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

thx bud, I actually found this site also

Honda R101 Candy Glory Red - ColorRite
Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

any automotive paint supply store in your area can take the paint code you have and use it to mix you up a spray can of some high quality paint like dupont or other top brands. you get what you pay for with paint.

"Never let anyone stand in the way of your freedom. Live to Ride, Ride to Live"
Ride bell by Robert "Guardian" Woods.
Raven080510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just get whatever amount of paint you need and use either one of these, they work quit well for small jobs. The Preval one you can get at most automotive parts stores.

AES Industries "Go Green" Aluminum Reusable Spray Can : Amazon.com : Automotive AES Industries "Go Green" Aluminum Reusable Spray Can : Amazon.com : Automotive

http://www.preval.com/what-is-preval

Last edited by Scooter_Trash; 11-03-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

keep in mind, if you go Scooter_Trash's route and get the reusable aerosol gun (no offense intended just giving advice here, it is a good option), you won't just be needing paint. Based on what type of paint you use, whether it be base coat/clear coat, acrylic enamel, full-thane, etc. you'll need solvents to go with that paint in order for it to spray out of either the reusable aerosol can the same as you would an actual paint gun hooked to an air compressor. The paint won't be thin enough to spray otherwise, and there won't be any hardening agents for paints such as acrylic enamel or full-thane. I do paint and body for the public on the side and as my day job, I am a paint/body man for a trucking transportation company here in my area. I'm just trying to save you a headache, and with refinishing, even touch-ups, you get out of a job what you put in it. Find a local automotive paint supplier in your area, talk to them about the products they carry, and make your decision based on their recommendations. If you go to one of the big name parts stores, for example, Advance Auto Parts, they'll try to sell you their pre-mixed Duplicolor ready to spray paint. I've heard some pretty bad reviews on the paint on how it doesn't cover well at all, and as far as finish and durability, I couldn't tell you. I would just hate for you to end up with a paint job you aren't happy with. If you plan on keeping the bike, I'd take the time to do it right the first time if it were mine. If you plan on trading the bike off or selling in the near future, you have two options- you can either do it right and not have somebody point it out to you when they come to look at it and try to get you to lower your asking price, or you can do it the cheap way and take a loss. Just friendly advice- take it for what it's worth. Good luck, whatever you decide. Ride safe.

Oh, and as far as parts stores go, if you have an O'Reily's Auto Parts in your area, some of those stores (I know ours do) mix paint for aerosol cans for touch-ups. Pretty reasonable prices, and our stores offer some of the same paints and products that the paint supply stores do. Just ask them about it.

Last edited by Raven080510; 11-03-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

what I want to do is paint parts on the bike like the rear sprocket cover, and a few more small parts.

figured 1 spray can would do me.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Keep in mind that a base/clear coat paint will not hold up very long withoug a good clear applied over the base. Actually, most any paint from an aerosol can will not be very durable.

1996shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Definitely agree with the previous poster. Acrylic enamel is commonly used with motorcycles as it hold up well. I use base coat/ clear coat but I use PPG Delta Clear and DuPont base. I just like the gloss and finish of bc/cc better- however I use acrylic enamel on the trucks that come through the shop. Just giving you fair warning about aerosols as I have before, there are not any hardening agents in the paint. It will not hold up long and will require a lot more touch up over time to keep it looking even half way decent. You may not even be able to touch up without it being extremely noticeable that the spot has been repainted.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

Old 11-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

I use any cheap spray paint in the color I like. Prep is key. You can make rattle can look professional with good prep and I like to use this for a clear coat. 2K clear coat: Spraymax It's a two part spray paint and works amazing. It's chemically resistant so it holds up well even on gas tanks.

01 Spirit 750 (sold)
91 Nighthawk
Lordmik101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement