Thought I better share my current project. I did not get any before pics, but I can tell you it was ready for the scrap yard. The shadow belonged to my father in law, (he passed about a year ago), and has been sitting for over 15 years in his front yard. I had to winch it onto a trailer to get it to my house. Both wheels were locked up.
I started by getting the rear wheel off so that I could see if the engine had seized. If it was seized up, it was headed for the scrap yard. But to my surprise, it rotated.
So I began tearing the bike down to the bare frame.
Pretty much everything on the bike was trash.
So thanks to sorner and rmedad, I was able to acquire a lot of parts to get the project going.
After getting to the bare frame, I was able to flip it upside down, just find areas of rust thought went all the way through. So I had to break out the mig and fabricated patches to fix the rot and strengthen the frame.
I then modified the back of the frame to accept the TSC trailer fender. Then painted the frame a flat satin black.
Remounted the engine.
I completely disassembled the wire harness and lengthened the harness so I could move the main fuse block etc. to under the seat where the airbox used to reside.
Used small cone filters on the carbs.
I forgot to mention, I completely rebuilt the carbs to include new diaphragms. Also had to replace the choke assemblies.
Cleaned and POR15 sealed the lower gas tank, that took about 2 weeks worth of cleaning and soaking and cleaning...
Replaced so far:
rear brakes, including hat.
rear brake cable
front brakes, master cylinder to caliper
clutch master cylinder
gas tank cap
Things I need to replace/to do:
So anyway, I have it to the point where I can ride it,(I live in the country).
And here is a pic: