Carbs, gas, leak ect. - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Carbs, gas, leak ect.

Ok so I just bought this 1994 Honda Shadow, the guy told me it needs the carbs cleaned. I looked in the tank and there is some varnish in there. The bike runs and I have been driving it. The spark plugs (well, intake at least) look fine. Definately smell like gas though and are a little wet.

I put some carb cleaner stuff from wallmart in the tank, I wasnt expecting a miracle or anything just thought it might help a little until I can clean the carbs. It ran good that day and then the next day after sitting it ran really crappy. Probably due to knocking some varnished fuel loose. But after a day its back to running like it was again. It seems as though one cylinder is not firing as much as it should be until it gets warmed up and then it kicks in fully.

Also after its warmed up and running decent sometimes at the stoplight when I pull up the engine takes a minute to slow the rpms back down, Im guessing the cylinder is being flooded with gas and is acting like I am still holding the throttle back. Then it clears up and slows down. Anywhere I go when I stop it smells really rich around me. I thought if the carbs were clogged it would be running lean and not rich?

Then this morning I look at the bike and there is a puddle of gas below it. It seems to have come out of the carb where the rear cylinders intake is.

I am going to attempt to clean the carbs myself. I am a Wyotech graduate with no work experience and I havent done any mechanical work to bikes since I graduated in 09'. (cant find any shops hiring) Any thing I should look out for? Im pretty confident I can do it but I am worried if someone has messed with the pilot screw I wont be able to adjust it right. I actually was trained on a dyno but dont really know how to get it right without one.

All thoughts, suggestions are welcome, thanks!
SuperiorKolours is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

use the search function, I've done a couple of write ups..

don't forget to measure the float heights..

Take before during and after photos or you will never get them back together correctly.

John
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

+1 to John Hopkins. Sounds like floats to me as well. Also, with you seeing the puddle on the ground of gas, I'd check my oil if I were you. If the needle valves on the floats aren't seating, then that's why you had the puddle. This can be a problem because fuel can travel into the crankcase and contaminate your oil. Check the oil and make sure the level is okay- also check the color, and the smell of the oil. If it smells like gas, get that mess out of there. I wouldn't drive it anymore if I were you until the problems with the carbs were resolved. I traded a 1980 XJ650 Maxim in mint condition to my brother that I fully restored- Long story short, he had been fooling with the carbs one day, got the floats out of adjustment, let fuel leak into his crankcase. He rode it really hard one day after that, and ended up locking the engine up due to overheating with the contaminated oil. Good luck and let us know whats up when you find anything out.

"Never let anyone stand in the way of your freedom. Live to Ride, Ride to Live"
Ride bell by Robert "Guardian" Woods.
Raven080510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post

Take before during and after photos or you will never get them back together correctly.

John
Ok thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 01:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

Old 11-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post

John
John, I searched all your threads you started. I didn't find any titled carb cleaning or anything like that. Do you remember what the title was?
Old 11-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

there are a hundred vids on youtube about cleaning carbs, i recommend watching a bunch of them. once you do it a couple times its no big deal. make sure your needle valve (the little button your floats sit on) is easy to press and comes back up freely.

as far as the pilots, yours control fuel not air. most shops will screw them in till seated, then back them out 3 1/4 turns. ive done carbs around 15 times, be very sure to blow out all those little tunnles in there with carb cleaner and compressed air and dont get discurraged if you dont get it right on the first cleaning

95' VLX

80' CX500

CavemanBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

And please do not use carb or brake cleaner on the needle valve, diaphrams or any rubber componts, it can cause them to swell. if you dont have one, down load the oem service manual, if you cant find one in the stickies, let me know, I'll get you a link, or put one up for you.

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanBen View Post
there are a hundred vids on youtube about cleaning carbs, i recommend watching a bunch of them. once you do it a couple times its no big deal. make sure your needle valve (the little button your floats sit on) is easy to press and comes back up freely.

as far as the pilots, yours control fuel not air. most shops will screw them in till seated, then back them out 3 1/4 turns. ive done carbs around 15 times, be very sure to blow out all those little tunnles in there with carb cleaner and compressed air and dont get discurraged if you dont get it right on the first cleaning
Thanks
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapdog2grand View Post
And please do not use carb or brake cleaner on the needle valve, diaphrams or any rubber componts, it can cause them to swell. if you dont have one, down load the oem service manual, if you cant find one in the stickies, let me know, I'll get you a link, or put one up for you.
Yeah I remember that from school, thanks though. If you have a link to a service manual that would be awesome! I found a link on this forum in the service manual thread but idk what it is, its 46 pages and only gives some specs. Its like its missing a bunch of pages or something.

This is the one I'm referring too...
http://www.carlsalter.com/pdfs/Honda_VT600_1994.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.