VLX 600 Clutch - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default VLX 600 Clutch

I am not too sure if I need to replace my clutch or not. I am hoping some more experienced people here can help me figure it out. I just purchased a 2003 VLX 600 and took it out for a quick ride today. The Clutch lever has the recommended 1/8th or so free play but it seems to me that there is hardly any friction zone in this clutch compared to other bikes I currently ride and have ridden. I keep stalling this bike as it seems I have to use heavier than normal throttle to take off and there just doesnt seem to be enough friction zone to ride it out if you can understand that. However it doesnt seem like the clutch is slipping but at just 1/8th pull on the lever and it is slipping. The friction zone appears to be in the 3/4 to full release of the clutch range. I hope I explained enough and made sense. The bike only has 12.5K but I have no clue how the PO rode the bike. Thanks for any and all help.
Bozzly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Individual motorcycles will have different clutch engagement points on the lever. This doesn't mean that your clutch is pooched. Depending on what your riding experience is, the small bore VLX may really need more throttle to get rolling than other scooters you've been on.

Just because the manual says 1/8" of lever free play (this sounds a little tight to me) there is nothing that says you can't adjust for more is you want. If you can do a full throttle roll on in high gear at high speed without the clutch slipping....the clutch is likely fine. Your bike is probably okay.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to gmck

Might try a different motor oil. some are a bit easier on the clutch than others. Do you know what oil it has in it? I have found Mobil 1 to feel a bit nicer on the clutch than dino oil.
gmck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

the Shadows clutch is like no other bike I have ever ridden in the fact that it is non existant til the last 1/4 in.It is Normal.I slacked up a little on my endplay for this reason and it helps.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

ya i had mine adjusted so the last 20% or so with my hand off was blowin in the breeze. i think you just need to fool wih the able some

95' VLX

80' CX500

CavemanBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the answers. I did ride the bike home from the place I bought it which was an hour drive. During that hour drive I spent about 30 to 45 minutes riding at about 75 MPH and never felt the clutch slip at all, nor did I feel it slip at any other point along my ride. Sounds like this bike just has a smaller friction zone than the other bikes I have ridden. The bike came with a free play of about 1/8th inch so I think I will just add a little more free play and just get used to it. I do feel better after reading these posts that there is nothing wrong with the clutch.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

The manual in my '06 specs 3/8 to 13/16 of an inch of freeplay.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, I adjusted the clutch for some more free travel last night and took her for a ride. It feels much better. It will also take some getting use to. The clutch friction zone on this bike is so much smaller than my Vstar 1300. Is it even possilbe to take off fast with this bike? Seems you have to take off very slow until you get the clutch fully engaged then you can hammer the throttle. Better not pull out in front of any oncomming traffic with this bike.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Go heavier on the throttle to take care of the problem.
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Go heavier on the throttle to take care of the problem.
I like the mindset behind this philosophy. Not sure what it does to the clutch, but you'll be rolling haha
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.