Turn Signal issues - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 08:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default Turn Signal issues

Yesterday afternoon, I did a little bit of work on my bike. Lubed up the chain, checked the front sprocket for wear (about to change the chain), and I finally got tired of my turn signal switch sticking...

I took apart my control on the handle bar, and took soap and water to the switch to clean out some of the crevices. It "appeared" to be working better. Rode it around and it seemed fine.

This morning, it's a little below 50 and I take her to work. The turn signal is VERY sticky in the cold, and it was just as sticky this time as it was the last, much to my dismay. But, I also have a new problem, when I use the turn signal, it doesn't seem to be working. I press left or right, and the light turns off and does not blink. I did this with the engine off, and I can hear the clicking of the turn signal relay...but the clicking is way off. Normally you hear a very rhythm-like clicking as it works. This time, it was very spaced out, as if it only wanted to click every other-other time...

Any ideas? Did my relay decide to go out very conveniently alongside my cleaning of the contacts in my switch? Or did I goof-up without realizing?
Red/Black
2001 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100
Blue/Blue

kacealraid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Find out where the switch wires go inside your headlight (possibly), pull the connecting box apart and shunt the each of the wires from the relay side to the common wire. Better check the electric schematics to find out the right wire colors. This way you'll know if the problem is on the switch. If the relay is ok, the blinkers will work fine and all you have to do is open the switch again and find out what is wrong (humidity?).
I can check the wiring for you but now I'm in a rush and don't have time.
luisr320 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Soap and water on electrical connections is a no-no. You probably have corrosion on the contacts of the switch. Get some ELECTRICAL contact cleaner and try again. Put some lithium grease on the non-electrical components of the switch making sure to not get it on the contacts.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpr1968 View Post
Soap and water on electrical connections is a no-no. You probably have corrosion on the contacts of the switch. Get some ELECTRICAL contact cleaner and try again. Put some lithium grease on the non-electrical components of the switch making sure to not get it on the contacts.
Yeah, that's probably exactly what happened. I'll get into it sometime soon and clean it out right. Any suggestions on where to pick up contact cleaner? Hardware store, etc?
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Old 11-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Contact cleaner is pretty much just rubbing alcohol in spray form. I just cleaned and lubed my contacts because I had the same sticky signal issue. I just used some lint free q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts, then lubed with dielectric grease. All is well now.

Also, when it's decently cold outside, my turn signals will lag a bit at first. Mechanical turn signal relays and cold weather don't get along all that well.
seanie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanie View Post
Contact cleaner is pretty much just rubbing alcohol in spray form. I just cleaned and lubed my contacts because I had the same sticky signal issue. I just used some lint free q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean the contacts, then lubed with dielectric grease. All is well now.

Also, when it's decently cold outside, my turn signals will lag a bit at first. Mechanical turn signal relays and cold weather don't get along all that well.

Great advice right there...Mine also stick/lag a little in the cold
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanie View Post

Thanks for the advice, I have plenty of rubbing alcohol. I'll try that when I get home tonight to see how well it does.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Contact cleaner is not alcohol. Alcohol will not take corrosion off electrical contacts. USe a good contact cleaner. You can get it at hardware stores, auto parts stores, Radio SHack, ect.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

It doesn't look too expensive to get the authentic stuff, might just do that at lunch and spray some in there, see if I get a good benefit out of it.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Old 11-06-2012, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Bought a can of Electrical Connection cleaner, sprayed the crap out of it. Let dry. Works like a charm now! Thanks for the advice guys.
Red/Black
Blue/Blue

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.