1100 Gearbox Issue - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1100 Gearbox Issue

Greetings from a wet 'n cold England folks

Having a problem with my 1100, which is an '86 American Import (None-Cali)

Bought it as a project, was thrown together finger-tight for transport, I stripped the front end down, rebuilt it with some big bars etc etc...

tightened everything up, got it all ready for the road... took it for a test (in the UK, all vehicles need safety testing once a year) things were going well until I tried to break around a sweeping right hander, and very quickly learned that the drum brake torque reaction arm, on the frame end, ender the bike, is an easy bolt to miss... as it was missing, and my drum was 200 degrees out of place, with the shoe push rod, wrapped around my axle...

Roadside repair, back home with my tail firmly between my legs.

Only been in 1st and 2nd up to that point, bit clunky gears, but it's a Honda... on my way back I went up into third, which depressed me... because all I found there was erratic drive, coupled with a grinding, sporadic vibrations and an intermittent knocking.

Long story made slightly shorter, I had a listen with the ol' screwdriver in the ear, and the noise seemed to originate from the final drive, so I sourced and replaced the whole back end pretty much, different wheel, differential, shaft, U-Joint...

Built back up, same problem... more detailed diagnostics proved that it's doing it 3rd, 4th and Overdrive. I had the back end lifted up and went through all the gears, it puts the bike about, grinds etc etc. in 3rd, 4th and OD, with increasing degrees of "violence", in short, it gets worse as you go up the box, the problem COULD be there in 1st and 2nd, but undetectable by myself...

So all I can think of, is the box itself, or to clutch at straws, the gearbox output bearing?

My question is (unless someone knows the answer to what's wrong anyway? LOL) What are the differences between the 1100 gearboxes? what parts will be interchangeable with my '86 from later models? From what I've discovered, I don't think it can be 3 worn GEARS themselves, it's more likely a selector fork? or worn drum? I won't know until I strip it, any ideas on what else it could be? But really, I'm wondering if any parts from later box's will fit.

My box goes: 1 - N - 2 - 3 - 4 - OD.

Thanks for your time

Joel
xReapeRx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

From some quick checks of part numbers at Honda factory motorcycle parts | Yamaha factory motorcycle parts | Kawasaki factory motorcycle parts| Yamaha factory motorcycle parts| ATV, it looks like the tranny pieces are unique to '85/'86 VT1100s
I checked the countershaft, 3rd gear and 4th gear = all only fit '85/'86
Old 11-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

From the way you describe the problem, it sounds to me like counter shaft bearings failed. To fix kt, the case needs to be separated. Good luck to you.
knucklebuster69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks chaps, useful info there GrumpyOldMan.

knucklebuster, you think countershaft bearing? hmm... I hadn't considered it, like you say I'll just have to bite the bullet and get it stripped down, real bummer lol... I got it all ready to take the missus away for her birthday this weekend, bloody typical!

Thanks again folks.

Joel
Old 11-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Done a bit more road testing on her, I'm starting to think it might be clutch... if I ride VERY steadily then I can almost make it ride right, riding normally I assume the lack of drive is actually the clutch slipping? and as it's getting hot, it grabs, and that's what's giving me the drive... the bike getting put about and shaking is probably when it takes up drive aggressively...

One way to find out I suppose, easier to strip the side of the engine down than the gearbox.

Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.