ticking or taping - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default ticking or taping

during my ride home from columbia s.c i noticed i have a ticking or maybe a taping coming from the front cylinder jug i checked the oil it was a little low but not enough to say hey i need oil so i put some in any way took less than a quarter of a quart to fill back up and checked the water in the in the jug down below and it seemed to be fine right near the upper line. so i pulled the plugs and they are still good a tad on the rich side but not to bad. so i crank it back up and did not hear it went say 50 miles stopped and i could hear it again its not a knocking noise its more like a tick or a tap seems like i only hear it when the bike gets warm.... Help please anyone have a shadow that does this?

Big_Country_vt1100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

IS your bike a Sabre by any chance. Google Sabre tick.
jpr1968 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Def google it, I hear it's common. What oil do you run?

1995 ACE VT1100C2
1975 CB550Four
1994 Toyota 4x4 22RE 5speed
rieckena is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Get a short length of garden hose and use it for a stethescope. The sound might not be coming from where you think it is.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Garage

the bike is a 2000 spirit and i run shell rottell 15w 40w

Old 11-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know if the Spirit has the same tick problem, but if you google Sabre tick, you'll get links to Utube videos of the tick and you can compare the sounds.
jpr1968 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

It's a pretty common issue with the 1100's. Mine does it occasionally. Mine seems to tick worse with Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic so I've switched back to the 15w-40 dino stuff.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

i have a 99 spirit 1100, mine also ticks from what sounds like front jug, noticed after changing oil, using mobile 1 synth. worse when hot. took to mechanic. told not to worry just change oil. did quiet down. was ready to tear down and rebuild. its pretty loud at idle. changed to honda lube , much quieter. love the bike
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage

Took the bike to the shop today just to see what the issue was and he walked me over to 3 other 1100s doing the same thing. One belongs to him and he rides it everyday says its been doing that for the last 20k miles said its something about the shadow 1100s. told me to just keep tune ups on the bike and ride it until it cant ride no more. Then he says if you want ill rebuild it for you just to make you happy if you want to spend that much money LOL . so i think im just gonna ride it lol

Old 09-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have a 1999 Shadow Tourer that also has a right side tick. this tick has been discussed quite a bit on the Tourer forum (HSATF). If the ticking is coming from the lower right is usually caused by weak springs in the clutch primary gear assembly. Supposedly the primary gear ticking is not harmful to the bike and some owners have reported having the "tick" for thousands of miles. Some have replaced theirs using the primary gear assembly for the Aero which is supposed to have stronger springs. unfortunately Honda will not sell just the springs so you have to purchase the gear assembly for about $175.00. I replaced mine with the Aero gear set about 4,000 miles ago and the tick is already back, have reservations about spending another $175.

Last edited by ncnative; 09-25-2013 at 09:53 PM.
ncnative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.