Loose Left Grip - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Loose Left Grip

I just bought a bike, and on the ride home the left grip was slipping a bit. Nothing huge but I cannot use the highway wrist rester thing because the grip will rotate down and slip off just a little.

I did a search and a few people seemed to say use superglue, but I can't imagine semi nice aftermarket grips would require backyard tactics to get them to stay on. Aside from that I don't want to use superglue because if/when I replace these grips I don't want to have all sorts of trouble getting the superglue off.

Any ideas what the problem is or what can be done to 'fix it right'?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0081.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	8616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0082.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	8617  
southpw11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Your local bike shop will sell you a special grip adhesive which should have been used when the grips were fitted..

Youtube fitting handlebar grips will show you how.

John.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Had trouble keeping mine on after changing the handlebar. Lots of things that were supposed to work -- including grip glue -- didn't hold up, especially when temperatures got high in the summer.

What did work was some grip glue that I bought at a local HD dealer. It's been a couple of years without any slipping at all.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hair spray works great to hold them in place. If they are real loose wrap them with black electrical tape first.

IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used some medical tape. Works great. The glue didn't hold once the temps were in the 90's

2001 spirit 1100 , vance and hines long shots, , a few other small mods. Now also with a mustang seat
dorfman17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.