New Tire now decel pop - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Tire now decel pop

I got a new rear tire and the shop had to take my top pipe loose and rotate it up to get my axle bolt out. Now I have a decel pop just before it gets back to an idle rpm. They didn't touch my carbs I don't know why it just started. It has been jetted for the drag pipes and never popped since I had it.
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" President John F. Kennedy, 1 August 1963.

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 ACE
Carl722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

You have an exhaust leak either at the exhaust port or the tailpipe/muffler connections more then likely.
jpr1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I can't hear an exhaust leak, but the only place it could be is on the exhaust port because they are just straight open drag pipes no mufflers. I wondered when they loosened my pipe and rotated it I was wondering if it would cause an exhaust leak. I can't hear it but I am sure they caused it.
"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'" President John F. Kennedy, 1 August 1963.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, they could have damaged the crush washer, causing a leak. With a loud exhaust you're not likely to hear a leak.
jpr1968 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
-AJ

stuff happens. call 'em up and bring it back in. hopefully they'll make it right.

2006 Honda VTX-1300R
Memphis Shades Batwing, Stock "C" Model Pipes, Mustang Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, National Cycle Hard Bags,
Lindby Multibar, Küryakyn Sound System, Küry ISO Grips, Show Chrome Grille Cover, Küry L.E.D Light Kit, Küry Triple Whammy,
Küry Constellation Light Bar, TTO Tach, Metzeler Tires, Chromed Wheels and much, much more.
-AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm with JPR. Whenever I take off pipes, I replace the crush gaskets.

I'd ask the shop to replace the gasket on the pipe they took off...no labor charge since they should have replaced it when they had it off the first time.

86 VT1100 Shadow
85 CB650 Nighthawk
turntailandrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

I called them they told me to bring it back by. I may have to go to the Honda dealer to get the gasket. I had the tire replaced at the Yamaha dealer because they had the best price on the tire and had it in stock and they included mounting and balancing as part of the tire price.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

I went back to the shop today. They left a nut off the exhaust port and pipe was hanging by 1 nut. The other one was down by the starter so they put it back on. They found crack in my bottom pipe's heat shield. I told them they weren't like that last month when I cleaned it up. Anyhow there is still an exhaust leak on the bottom pipe inside the heat shield. It is slightly noticeable. I guess I am going to take the pipes off and see if I can get the pipes out of the heat shields and see if I can get the bad spot fixed. I would still like to find another set of pipes. I am thinking I would like to get some stock pipes if someone is pulling theirs off to go aftermarket.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, another reason I do all my own work. Shops screw things up all the time.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ha! Yamaha! They tortured the poor thing while you were gone!
Those pipe are really expensive. Look for aftermarkets for comparison.
luisr320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement