Originally Posted by silvercrew
So, my 2004 Sabre finally let me down. Rode it home from work (approx. 35 miles) and everything was fine. Stopped at the Post Office before the house and when I went to start it the lights came on and upon press of the start button one single click from under the seat and the lights all went out. WTF?!?!?! So, I turned it off, pulled the key and tried again. Exact same thing. Ok, lets try this a third time but this time the lights wouldn't even come on with the key turned on. Crap. So I pushed it home (2 blocks up one hell of a hill) and began the troubleshooting.
Mulitmeter read 12.5 with the key off and still wouldn't start. Put the battery charger on it to jump it and it jumped and fired right up. Pulled the charger and the bike began to idle like crap (wouldn't rev, and lights were dimming when trying to rev it.). So, I pulled the battery and charged it for a couple hours and re-installed it. Bike fired right up and ran like a champ. Checked voltage while idling and while revving (13.6 idle, 14.8 revved) and compared it to the charge just off the charger (15.2ish). Turned on hi-beams, turn signals, brake lights and the battery voltage didnt drop a whole lot.
So, after all that I have a couple of questions. First, how could my battery be at 12.5 and not start the bike? How could I be riding just fine for 35 miles and have it off for 10 minutes at most and then have a no-start condition? Any suggestions/comments? Thanks
Your bike charging system is working well..the battery could be faulty even though it charges well so connect the multimeter to it and record the reading, then start the engine and see how much it drops by, then switch off the engine and record the new battery reading..if the first standby reading is significantly different to the last reading then you need a new battery.
12.5v is enough to start the bike but when you crank the bike it may drop below the 12v level and not have enough voltage to produce a spark.