Gas Smell on highway - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

A little expensive for my area but area to area it changes, I have a private mechanic that will do it for $50 but hes pretty busy and hard to get his free time but not super bad for price, Hope he won't go crazy charging if he finds anything else to fix though.

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

That is what I would call a high price. But with the time the owner spent with you, I'd take the chance that this is a good shop and pay it. Given the age of the bike, he's probably included a few "unlisted" items in his quote. You'll find out when you pick up the bike. Given that you've got an unexpected $200 in your hands, take a chance.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

sounds like it may have been jetted for aftermarket pipes. you just never know with people these days. curious to know what they find.

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Yes keep us poster

Old 11-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #15 (permalink)

More research on the streets...If I roll the throttle anything but nice & easy, bike balks, and smells like unburned gas. Ease off, response returns and smell is gone. And, I'm now realizing that this is a safety issue, especially 2up. Last thing I want is to need to move fast and stall.

Since I'm not equipped to handle it I took it up to the shop for a diagnostic ($65. if I decide not to fix it there). Estimate to disassemble/clean, & synch carbs $215 plus parts. Now that's kind of big money for me, but realistically, I'll be lucky if they take the money, and do it right. If I add $300 to the purchase price I still would have bought the bike.

I sold my old 1972 cb500Four today, and my missing dog was found after 6weeks 4days, so the signs look good....

1997 Shadow 1100 Ace

The City Of Happyness Resides In The State Of Mind

RockyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Best part is finding the pup I bet, If he fixes it for that I would say it's worth it.

Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #17 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

I think about $250 to cure your problem is a good deal..however If they find damaged diaphragms they will not mess about trying to find the cheapest supplier..

pay for this job this time but unless you are quite wealthy I would advise you to start learning to do a few jobs yourself.

When I started riding it was because a motorcycle was the cheapest form of transport, I'm talking about 1960 and much to my wife's despair I always seemed to have a bike in bits..I paid 10 about $15 for my first bike..

John.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
unless you are quite wealthy I would advise you to start learning to do a few jobs yourself.
I want to start learning how, I have a Clymer manual, and of course lots of info here. Any recommendations on basic/essential tools, beyond the Craftsman socket set I already have ?

1997 Shadow 1100 Ace

The City Of Happyness Resides In The State Of Mind

RockyG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

I have the same bike. This is not an internet diagnosis of your problems, but just state what I found with this model/year. Fuel system was gummed when I got it, since 1997 most of these bikes have been stowed and this one does not like to be idle for more than two weeks. I got it with a leaking petcock and when I replaced it with a newer chrome petcock I got on ebay, the old one had gummy deposits on the pencil-shaped fuel screen. It needed a new air filter as it was running rich. New NGK irridium spark plugs gave no noticeable difference in performance. Big improvement after I ran several tanks of Gumout and Chevron Techron fuel system cleaners; I did not need to get into the carbs.

Changed all fluids: oil, coolant, gear oil, fork oil, DOT4 front and rear, etc. Used what Honda specifies for fluids except a heavier weight fork oil plus a 1mm increase in the spring spacer.

I suspect your ACE needs a thorough fuel system cleaning, new fuel filter, and several runs of fresh 87 octane fuel with Gumout to clear things up. This bike does not like premium fuel. Try balancing the carbs particularly if you notice lots of vibration, and search this board for "manometer" as no fancy tools are needed. I routinely hit 100mph on the freeway and there is still plenty of throttle left. Make sure your tires are fresh by reading the date codes on the sidewalls before you do top speed test runs. Good luck.

1997 American Classic Edition Shadow VT1100 C2
bikenut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyG View Post
I want to start learning how, I have a Clymer manual, and of course lots of info here. Any recommendations on basic/essential tools, beyond the Craftsman socket set I already have ?
A genuine Honda Service Manual is the most valuable tool. It will save you more in parts than the Clymer cost. (If that's too pricey, at least get yourself a red pen so you can post corrections in the Clymer.) Honda's Common Service Manual might be worthwhile for you too. (There was recently a download link here somewhere.)

Note: Your bike has the single-pin-crank engine that was installed on ACEs (but NOT the ACE Tourer) and Aeros. Service manuals and fluid capacities are different than the dual-pin-crank engines on the other Honda 1100s.

You should have a decent set of wrenches and a couple of good screwdrivers. Honda recommends a couple of exotic specialty tools that you don't really need. A torque wrench should supplement that socket set.

Build yourself a manometer. You'll need vacuum port adapters to use it. If you can't figure out how to make your own from the picture then buy them.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.