Gas Smell on highway - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 06:41 PM   #21 (permalink)

Smile Mostly solved

Shop called me yesterday, said when they removed the tank one intake tube was disconnected and the other was very loose, about to come off. They tightened them up and test rode it. Said it is much better, but still popped if throttle was slammed. I asked if they saw anything else that needs attention, he said no except the front tire had low pressure (I thought the bigger bike just steered heavy...gauge now in bag) Said overall bike looks to be in good condition. He asked if I still wanted him to tear the carbs apart ?
I decided not to for now. Bill was $75.

Picked it up, and gave it a good test today, a 75mi ride with a good mix of highway and streets. The difference is like night & day; plenty of power, no smell, much smoother starts from a stop. If I really slam the throttle it pops/stutters but I had to try to get that. At highway speed (70-80mph) still has plenty of throttle. Too much traffic today to test top speed but it feels eager to go. Also, filled up with plain old 87 octane gas w/ethanol, bike seems OK with that.

So, looks like I got lucky. I see now that I could have found the intake problem myself pretty easily, but all in all I am glad I took it in. I feel safer now after having an experienced set of eyes on it. Still some good riding weather left, and time to learn to take charge of maintenance.
Thanks for all the help ... I'm sure I'll need more... but feel like in a short time you all have helped me move up from clueless to newb 2nd class...lol...thanks.

1997 Shadow 1100 Ace

The City Of Happyness Resides In The State Of Mind

RockyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #22 (permalink)

Now there's a bit of good news. I like to get at least one bit of good news a day. It helps to offset the scaremongering that the rest of the media pushes out.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #23 (permalink)

Glad to hear you got it worked out, try a tank or two of seafoam and it might clear up that popping if its dirty carbs causing it, nice looking bike too.

Dauntae

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Let this also be a lesson. There are honest shops out there. He could have "fixed" this problem as he did and still charged you for the carb cleaning. He has earned repeat business, even if it is only the occasional tire install. Congrats on the easy fix.

For what its worth... I'm an electrician, by trade. Can't tell you how many times I've had to repair work that someone thought he could do himself. Sometimes a person has to accept limits and pass the work on into the economy. Not a bad thing.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadshoney View Post
Let this also be a lesson. There are honest shops out there. He could have "fixed" this problem as he did and still charged you for the carb cleaning. He has earned repeat business, even if it is only the occasional tire install. Congrats on the easy fix.

For what its worth... I'm an electrician, by trade. Can't tell you how many times I've had to repair work that someone thought he could do himself. Sometimes a person has to accept limits and pass the work on into the economy. Not a bad thing.
I've heard you guys are all crooks too
but I know who to call if I ever nedd someone honest

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadshoney View Post
There are honest shops out there. He could have "fixed" this problem as he did and still charged you for the carb cleaning. He has earned repeat business...
Concur.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #27 (permalink)

Default update

The weather is still good...been riding. Sunday I did about 100 mi. Highway, and all around a lake near here. The more I ride it the better it's doing.

Still has occasional stutter when I goose it from 70-80 mph but mainly it doesn't pop or stutter now unless I purposely mistreat the throttle. I have not added any more sea foam, or done anything else. Just riding it seems to be helping.

That shop has made a believer out of me, they could have very easily took the money....I will return. If someone needs a recommendation for a shop in Kansas City let me know.

I'm loving the ACE, feels so much better than the smaller bikes I'm use to.

1997 Shadow 1100 Ace

Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #28 (permalink)

Nice looking scoot, glad your getting the bugs worked out although it sounds like you could have a little carb issue going, I would go along with the sea foam recommendations and see if it will finish cleaning up.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

Default 1 year later update

Had the ACE a year now....have put a little over 3000 miles on it.
Gas smell is gone (never found a reason). Throttle response is much better,
rarely bogs down anymore, and if it does a simple off/on the throttle fixes it.
Everything I've looked at: plugs, filters, hoses...etc look good.
Maybe it wasn't being ridden enough by the previous owner.

I now know that part of my issues were due to inexperience on
a motor bigger than 500cc.
I've learned how to respect the power but not be so timid with it.
It does like to be revved up.
Mileage is +/- 37mpg depending on what I'm doing.

Had thought about shaving the seat or lowering the front,
but a friend suggested just riding it more (good advice).
That, and a better pair of boots (just new construction boots) solved that.

Bottom line is after 1 year / 3k miles I'm happy I got it.
Now if only winter will cooperate and give me some good riding days....

1997 Shadow 1100 Ace

Old 11-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #30 (permalink)

I purchased a 2004 Sabre 1100 over the summer... I estimate 10k miles on it (it didn't come with the original odometer). When I purchased it I smelled fuel in the exhaust and knew it was running rich. The Previous owner didn't do a good job of caring for the bike. I've since replaced plugsfluids, brake pads, tires, and had a shop go through the carbs... it runs MUCH better and has a lot more pickup than before.

However, under heavy throttle I smell gas... speed doesn't matter, just heavy throttle. If I let off on the throttle the smell goes away. At high RPM & full throttle, the bike begins to choke down... I assume it's running rich or lean in that RPM range at full throttle. If I back off to 3/4 throttle, the bike continues to accelerate... but at a slower rate.

My bike is all stock as far as I know. I took it back to the shop that worked on the carbs. They said it may need to be rejetted to correct the problem.

I don't worry about it much... I just adjusted my driving habits and have no problems. Maybe one day I will rejet.

Ride Safely!
John.
megajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement