Winter storage - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Winter storage

I am putting my 2008 Shadow Spirit up for the winter. Is there an easy way to put a trickle charger on the battery or do I need to take the battery completely out? I live in Maine and the bike is in a garage but not heated. What do you people do when you put it up for the winter?
lrich524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrich524 View Post
I am putting my 2008 Shadow Spirit up for the winter. Is there an easy way to put a trickle charger on the battery or do I need to take the battery completely out? I live in Maine and the bike is in a garage but not heated. What do you people do when you put it up for the winter?
Read the thread entitled Storageology in the technical discussion sticky area.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

I bought a Battery Tender which has a permanent wiring harness that can be hooked up to the battery. Now I just plug the charger into the wire harness and it takes about 30 seconds (and that's when I'm having a slow day). I just purchased a Slime mini air compressor and the connection matches the wire harness for the Battery Tender, so there is another bonus!

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2008 Shadow Aero and i purchased a battery tender from Harbor Freight and i leave that on all winter. Good luck
rogheir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Due to the fact that I have had tenders go bad and cook my battery, I have mine connected to a timer like you use for Christmas lights and set to run for a couple hours a day.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Last year, I received a 5W solar charger for my truck as a gift, and it's been working great! Battery in the truck is always at peak, even if I don't drive it for several weeks. For those of you with only one or two bikes to maintain (and no power in your storage areas), you can grab a 1-5W solar charger with controller for $20-50 from Amazon or Harbor Freight.

Amazon.com: Sunforce 50013 1-Watt Motorcycle and Powersports Solar Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: Sunforce 50013 1-Watt Motorcycle and Powersports Solar Battery Charger: Automotive

Plenty of other brands and sizes out there... this is just one of the ones I was considering buying for my bikes... since my storage building does not have power, and I really don't want to bring the batteries inside for charging this winter!
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"

Earthling789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

A tender is Brest but I don't feel comfortable leaving the battery in below freezing temps so I take it out and keep it in a plastic tub on a work bench in the basement and hook it up to the tender for a few days every couple of weeks, they say leaving it on a tender can shorten the life of the battery but that's debate able but a few days every couple of weeks works for me.

Dauntae

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

I don't keep my battery tender plugged in 100% of the time . . . I'll run it for a week or two, then take it off for a couple weeks, hook it back up again, etc. If the temperature is 20 degrees below zero (I live in Minnesota) I'll plug it in longer.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have a battery tender from Harbor Freight also and i put Sea Foam in the gas tank all winter. Good luck.
rogheir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement