Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
I winterized my bike for the first time last night. When I removed the battery I noticed the small 3-prong connector on the voltage regulator was melted. The wires were black from overheating but everything seemed intact and working well as I have had no issues to date. The previous owner changed it just before he handed it over as there was a charging issue. I don't know if this was an existing issue or something that has happened since I have had it.
What would cause this?
Should I get the regulator replaced with one that has a good connector?
The only thing that I have done that may have caused this would be to turn over the engine with the kill switch off to assist in draining oil as per manual. I have done this twice since spring. I also used this method to spread the fogging oil in the cylinders last night.
2000 Honda SHadow Spirit 1100