2007 Spirit 1100 issues - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

The milage has nothing at all to do with fouled carbs, it's how long it sat with gas in the carbs that foul them, could be a 83 with 10 miles but if it was put away and sat for all those years the gas dries out and leaves a varnish in the carb and blocks the jets, and that's what is being cleaned out in most cases, how many miles on doesn't matter at all on if the carbs need cleaning.

Dauntae

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks D. Short of removing the carbs, would a fuel injection cleaner help?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
laughinglion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Depending on how bad there blocked up, a lot of people use seafoam with good results, run a few tanks worth and it may clear it up at worst it won't do it but won't make it any worst. I use seafoam for winter storage also as it is a gas stabilizer also.

Dauntae

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage

Update: tires both in balance. Carbs were in sync. The knock/ping isn't "anything abnormal" for the vt1100 ( I did read of this on other posts). The only rattle was heat shield which they tightened. All fluids were pristine, as should be for only 1400 miles.
It wheels are in balance an got no shim. However, they did ask if I wanted to try ltb ( liquid tire balance). I declined.
At this point I am going to chalk it up to being a newb (although the technically I am not. Just got back into riding after 15 years).

laughinglion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Try a few rounds of seafoam, snug up the carb boots and make yourself a sync tool. Drop to 87 octane (mine gets horrible mileage on 94), and keep the revs up as you ride ... don't lug it. Check the air filter as well especially if it was storage as some critters may have had some fun in there.

These engines usually run strong and are as reliable as Sunday.

Don't forget to enjoy! It's a great ride!

2011 Victory Cross Country

Thanks
Vaughn

Last edited by vgreid; 11-16-2012 at 09:58 PM.
vgreid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinglion View Post
Update: tires both in balance. Carbs were in sync. The knock/ping isn't "anything abnormal" for the vt1100 ( I did read of this on other posts). The only rattle was heat shield which they tightened. All fluids were pristine, as should be for only 1400 miles.
It wheels are in balance an got no shim. However, they did ask if I wanted to try ltb ( liquid tire balance). I declined.
At this point I am going to chalk it up to being a newb (although the technically I am not. Just got back into riding after 15 years).

Squirrely rear-end? Have you checked the pre-load on the shocks? They may be set too low, or one could be set higher than the other...

I had a similar issue on my VT700... found one to be set at 5, and the other was at 2 (doubt the previous owner ever noticed), which caused mixed compression in curves and made the rear-end feel like it was all over the place, especially on right-hand curves/turns.

On my Sabre, the PO had the pre-load too high (on #5), which caused excess stiffness, which translated into rear-end "bounce" in the curves and over rough roads... really an unnerving feeling. Too low will create an odd feeling too... too much compression and you'll feel like you're squishing into the curve too hard, which is also a rear-end wobble feeling.

I'm 165-lbs and run my VT1100 on #2 for one-up riding... #3 for two-up or loaded with touring bags. How you set yours will be trial and error to find what "feels" right for you! Start out by setting them on #1 and take a ride... run the same road on #2, then #3, etc.... when you find the right spot, you'll know it... the bike will feel better in the curves (no more loose rear-end)! Just something to check...

Oh, and tire pressure will also affect the handling... Sorry, just gave you one more thing to think about
1999 CB750 NightHawk (son's ride)

"The Hardest Part About a Zombie Apocalypse, Will Be Pretending I'm Not Excited"

"I'm not behind you, I'm 21,565 miles in front of you, and about to lap you again!"

Earthling789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.