2007 Spirit 1100 issues - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Default 2007 Spirit 1100 issues

I have a few issues, then again maybe I don't, depending by my feedback.

I have an 07 I bought with 1000 miles end of August. I'm going on 1400 now. The bike was serviced with fresh rubber, plugs, oil. Everything is stock except drag bars, memphis batwing, and saddlebags. I did remove the baffles from the stock pipes.

A few things:
1-Once it gets hot I get a knock. The only fuel I use is Sunoco 94 with Sta-Bil. Although an intermittent issue, I do get hesitation once riding at high speed for a while. The bike also seems to run hot. Oil and coolant levels are perfect. No discoloration at all.
2-horrible mpg. I have to refill @ 95/100 miles. All city driving so perhaps this is normal.
3-The rear end feels a bit squirrelly at 50+mph. My final drive oil is a grayish color and the level is perfect. Tire out of balance?

Should I invest in jetting and synching the carbs?

thanks in advance.
JC
laughinglion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

Is it a knock or a ping? In other words, is it a constant dull knocking sound, or is it a higher pitched rattling sound? A ping would come from the combustion chamber and a knock would more than likely be coming from lower end.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofmyownshadow View Post
Is it a knock or a ping? In other words, is it a constant dull knocking sound, or is it a higher pitched rattling sound? A ping would come from the combustion chamber and a knock would more than likely be coming from lower end.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Now that you've described it that way, I'd say a ping.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you need to rejet to ritchen the mixture a little... does it make a popping noise while decelerating? If so, probably running a little bit lean.
knucklebuster69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes taking out the baffles will make it run lean and in turn run hot, may also be the cause of that pinging you hear, you may be able to adjust the carbs a little richer with the air/fuel mixture screw but your much better off rejecting the carbs.

Dauntae

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage

The tap/ ping is normal for the 1100s i have heard from the shops and others on this site mine to does it when it gets warm and the mpgs are kinda normal 95/130 in town depending on how your hand turns the throttle and you bike comes from the factory abit lean so if any pipes added you should get a jet kit. i only say this because these are the same questions i had with mine after i got it. i would check the air pressure in the rear tire this can make it feel a bit loose

Big_Country_vt1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Why run 94 octane
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Running high octane would stop predetonation in older vehicles, but it's a sign of poor tuning or caked up valves. On a normally tuned engine, there isn't supposed to be a need for higher octane as long as your compression ratio is less than 10:1.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

i know mine is only a 98 vt1100 but mine runs hot, gets about the same mileage in the city, and has grayish final drive fluid
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Garage

Thanks for the input. I've read other posts complain of the tap. I called the dealer who thinks the tap is a non issue, and even said I didn't have to jet the carbs just because of the lack of baffles. Like I said, the bike only has 1400 miles so I doubt fouled carbs is the issue. I dropped it off to check the tire balance. I'll post the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement