I'm getting my A** kicked - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Monterey10
Red face I'm seeing different things

Both CV Pistons operate the same. THe front cylinder sprays a bit of fuel mist out when I rev the engine slightly. The back cylinder is dry. This is what put me onto the back cylinder was not geting gas. For all I know, it could be a difference in float heights. I'll do further tests and report.
Monterey10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 08:33 AM   #12 (permalink)

Check to see if there is gas in the float bowl of the carb on the cylinder that is not firing. The float valve may not be opening. Also check that the throttle linkage on that carb is working.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

No vacum leak? Are you sure there os gas in the bowl, open drain screw? Pull carbs and clean them.... Remove pilots and chokes for cleaning. After clean do full bench adjustment as per manual. Verify Battery strength, NOT JUST CHARGE STATE. Do resistance and spark tests for the ignition. Must eliminate Electrical issues. Only when you are 100% sure that everything else, SHOULD be functional, can you really diagnose. Sounds like plugged jets or float valve, moving slides and no spray, says something must be physically blocking fuel flow.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Question The latest observation

When I first pull the line off the carb float and start the engine, the gas doesn't flow out the fuel line for 10 seconds, then, the fuel start pumping out the line. My hypothesis is that the fuel pump regulators is shutting down the pump and not coming on fast enough.

I would like to check the "relay" under the tank. Does anyone have a picture or description of where the relay is.

Then, I'll focus on the pump itself.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

The pump or relay doesn't explain why gas is only getting to one carb. Check the float valve on the carb that isn't working, I'm betting that it's either clogged or not working. You also open the drain screw on that carb and see if any gas comes out.
jpr1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage

The pump does no produce a steady flow but a pulsating flow at a relatively low pressure.
You say a MIST come out the front cylinder...you mean through the Carb? you should never get anything coming up through the carb as that would indicate a bad valve or incorrect valve timing. and possibly why it is not firing. Check the compression on the front cylinder.

Ok so you highlighted the part that says you can see gas in one but not the other.... AT IDLE? if so then it has NOTHING to do with the mains as they are not even thinking about flowing fuel at idle. This would be the PILOT circuit. Check that the pilot screws have all the seals springs and washers in place and that the pilot circuit is clear of debris. The channels for the pilot are very small and visual inspection is very difficult. Compressed air is your friend for clearing them out.
The slides operate on vacuum generated by the piston drawing air into the cylinder (manifold pressure) the different between MP and ambient determines how far and how fast the slides move. Whether you have fuel flowing to the cylinder or not the slide will still move.

1998 VT1100T A.C.E. Tourer
cl65ame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Question More Trouble shooting

I put the bike together. Put on the enrichener, the bike started right up, running evenly. I reved the bike... Perfect running.... Putted up and down the street perfectly.... Rolled on the throttle, smooth 2 cylinder running until the revs were up and I was approaching 45 mph, then cough slowing, sounds like one cylinder running. MMMMMM. I swear this bike is running out of gas on the back cylinder (front carb) under load.

Just to rule out spark, I hooked up the timing light to the spark wires and ran up and down the street, making the bike cough and run on one cylinder. The timing light flashed correctly. It was a simple test but seems to show good ignition during those higher speeds.

I pulled a spark plug and the back cylinder is chocolate brown. The work on the enrichener is helping.

The thing that gets me is that the bike really takes off on those low speed takes off. This bike is a good deal more powerful than the old 87 I rode. I think the core engine is quite strong. That is up til the higher revs. (and shut down)

I pulled the line off the far carb (the front carb, back cylinder, end of the fuel line) and started the bike. Nothing came out of the fuel line for a few seconds, then a stream of gas started, first slowly, then stronger. I put my finger over the fuel line and it didn't take much to shut it off. I understand that there can be low voltage/bad grounds on these bikes. Does anyone have experience with low voltage at the pump?

Thanks for all your input. I'm studying all your posts very carefully. Despite some frustration, I'm trying to be methodical.

Last edited by Monterey10; 11-14-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

T here is no fuel pump regulator. The pump runs until the carbs are full and the inlet valve closes, then it just stalls until the demand for fuel increases and it runs again. You can bypass the relay and run continous power to the pump if you suspect a faulty relay. Many scooter run this way. I still think you have a carb problem.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Garage

I agree you are into a Carb issue. Remove the carbs and disassemble them down to the last screw and clean EVERYTHING. Blow out every channel and line and soake the metal bits in a good carb cleaner. Pull the jets and ensure they are free and clear same with the needles, make sure they are clean. Clean the air shutoff valves and diaphragms. Clean and inspect the slider diphragms and ensure there are NO HOLES in them.
Install the floats and ensure they are set to the PROPER DIMENSION (CRITICAL).
ensure the float valve does not stick and isnot worn, same for the seat (Critical considering your issue)
Then put the rest back together and reinstall them.
Try again to see if it runs correctly.

1998 VT1100T A.C.E. Tourer
cl65ame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

Red face Research update

I described to my mentor the one carb spitting gas vapor out into the air above the bike. Instantly, he said the Evap system would cause this condition. He described the 2004s as having a Evap can that could be taken apart for service. He said they had nothing but problems with these in the shop.

I think I'll focus on the Evap hoses and can on my next day off.

Regarding the hoses, the newer 2004 manual has pictures of the PAIR, EVAP and other circuits, showing where the hoses attach and routing. I think I'll use these pictures to follow the hoses, making sure they are going to the right places. I think I'll see if the can is full of gas, dirt etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.