rear vtwin smoking - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

there are no crash bars on here. I have been wanting to get some but they dont make them for my bike.I have searched high and low for them and the only ones I find are not truly crash bras they just stick out so you can extend your feet.
I severely doubt (and hope) its not cracked. I am pretty sure my leg and my tank took 90% of the impact. there wasn't much of an impact anyway it was more of a sliding motion over gravel then onto grass into the ditch. the bike never flipped just leaned to the left and fell while going MAYBE 15 mph i was in 3rd gear.
computerfixit524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

I would say run it for a good while and see it the smoking stops. Keep an eye on your fluids for level drops, change in consistency, or color.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Old 11-14-2012, 01:03 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Smoke

As previously mentioned, white smoke sounds like coolant in the combustion chamber. The fact this happens after a few minutes of running also indicates that the expansion of the mating faces of the cylinder and head is a contributory factor. Pull out the plugs after this occurs and compare front and rear. Coolant in the chamber will often manifest itself as a really clean look to the plug on the offending cylinder. The correct fix would be to replace the head gasket but there are some compounds on the market that when added to the coolant will seal the issue. I recently used this on a Suzuki for a friend who was short on funds and thus far (8000 miles) it's running nicely. Odd that this happened after a bump on your machine though, I never heard of this before.

Chris
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

Just curious, what model and year is your bike?

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Odd that this happened after a bump on your machine though, I never heard of this before.

Chris
well it was more than a bump but for me to say that it was a "crash" would be incorrect also because there were only a few things bent as stated above and no major damage to me or the bike at least so far. it was more of a slip because i braked when i shouldn't have. I should have just tried to drive it directly into the ditch instead of avoiding it. I would have been able to handle it then and it would have been fine but the gravel on the road side just killed all my chances of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
The correct fix would be to replace the head gasket but there are some compounds on the market that when added to the coolant will seal the issue.
what are the name of some of these compounds /products

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntae View Post
Just curious, what model and year is your bike?
1984 honda shadow vt500c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofmyownshadow View Post
I would say run it for a good while and see it the smoking stops. e
oookk.... sorta nervous about that but once i get my carbs out of my pine sol soak today and put it back together I will try that.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

You will find several brands of product in your local auto parts store.NAPA etc. Bars leaks cylinder head seal is what I used but there are others.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerfixit524 View Post
well it was more than a bump but for me to say that it was a "crash" would be incorrect also because there were only a few things bent as stated above and no major damage to me or the bike at least so far. it was more of a slip because i braked when i shouldn't have. I should have just tried to drive it directly into the ditch instead of avoiding it. I would have been able to handle it then and it would have been fine but the gravel on the road side just killed all my chances of it

what are the name of some of these compounds /products

1984 honda shadow vt500c

oookk.... sorta nervous about that but once i get my carbs out of my pine sol soak today and put it back together I will try that.
When you lay the motor on its side, the oil in the crankcase goes to places that its not supposed to go. It could take longer than the 10 min that you ran it to burn it all out. Like I said, run it(idle) and monitor your fluids.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaredofmyownshadow View Post
When you lay the motor on its side, the oil in the crankcase goes to places that its not supposed to go. It could take longer than the 10 min that you ran it to burn it all out. Like I said, run it(idle) and monitor your fluids.

Maybe, but oil and coolant should never cross. They are entirely different passages in the engine and the "white smoke" is the giveaway here.

Chris.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

i know this is a tiny bit off topic , well i got my carbs back in and all i need to do is sync them. That was much much easier than i thought it would be. I have been putting off cleaning the carbs for about 4 months. they shine all nice but i did have a question about them. I took pictures of them before/after so i wouldnt forget where stuff goes. but one thing perplexes me. I have two left over connections on the carbs. I tried looking through my pics but i didnt get any of that angle could anybody tell me maybe what this connection does or is supposed to be hooked up to
highlighted in red is the connections its 1 on each carb, 1 is a zoomed in pic so you can see it better and the other is zoomed out so you can see the orientation of where it is in relation to the rest of the carb. but you cant see it very well.
tomorrow I will look at my manual / diagrams if they have them to see if i can figure it out

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...4/IMG_8971.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...4/IMG_8969.jpg

anyway back on topic. I ran it for prob 15 min but i quit bc i wanted to go to bed so I will try after work. BUUUUTT i did gather more information...

the smell- i guess you could say is sweet... not entirely sure, do you mean its supposed to smell like burning sugar ? it didnt smell bad if thats what you mean.
Also i will deff need new crush gaskets.
finally! in that time period... the front started spewing white smoke also out of the exhaust. Less than the other one though.
This is good and bad. It relieves my stress a little because the likely hood of both cylinder heads cracking is unlikely especially since it wasn't that hard of a fall.
bad because both of them are now....
The only thing I can think of that changed before and after the "crash" was the coolant I used. I used different coolant, the stuff in the cycle to begin with was green and the stuff I added was blue. BUT i made trippley sure that there was no silicates and phosphates etc in the coolant I was adding because mine cant take that.

Any suggestions? I am going to run it longer tomorrow after work and if that doesn't stop it, then i am going to buy that sealant stuff as a temporary fix till my mechanic can take a look at it
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

That sweet smelling white smoke is antifreeze and don't inhale too much, Not so good for you LOL But for what ever reason it got into the engine somehow, Did you check in the oil to see if the oil has any mixed into it, The oil will have a white milkish look to it if it is mixed in but for whatever reason your getting antifreeze in the engine and its burning out the exhaust

Dauntae

I laugh in the face of danger, then I hide until it goes away

The book of John Hopkins map
http://www.travellerspoint.com/membe.../tripid/365293
Dauntae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement