rear vtwin smoking - Page 3 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #21 (permalink)

do you want me to drain the oil and look at it? or should I try and look through the little hole of my dipstick. Also I think I am just going to drain out all the anti freeze and put fresh in because I dont know how long it has been there
computerfixit524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #22 (permalink)

ok well for 1 let me say PINESOL is amazing, it cleans chrome and everything. another question. When I was running my bike yesterday i noticed there was a lot of condensation coming out of the exhaust.... is that another sign that the antifreeze got into the system?

I took off my exhaust because its somewhat rusted and I am going to clean it up and a puddle of water just came out. along with running it was probably a shot or 2 of water. lol if that gives any indication of how much water there is. my thinking is since its burning off antifreeze 50% of its water sooooo it heats up creates white smoke , what doesnt make it out condenses in the pipes. does that seem logical?
Also NO WONDER why the smoke was coming out of the exhaust where it meets the engine block. there was NO CRUSH GASKETS all all. It honestly saddens me to see the previous owner had such neglect on a beautiful bike, I got it for a cheap price and have put easily 500 into it for fixing it up.
computerfixit524 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

With no crush gaskets, I wouldn't think that much condensation wouldn't be unusual, especially in cold weather.

As for the theory of coolant in your cylinders, I would tear down the engine as soon as economically feasible. Driving like that is horrible for your engine. At least take it to someone experienced enough to rule it out as a problem.
justinmahn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #24 (permalink)

well, i got it mostly put back together after taking apart the whole exhaust system and cleaning it. it looks so much better. I drained the antifreeze. still need to sync the carbs. gonna buy a few more parts. but i let it run for about 30-40 min and it didnt smoke YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. *does a happy dance *
Still waiting on crush gaskets but all it does now is smell like burning pine sol which is what i soaked the pipes in for a few days.
I think im good to go
minus carbs, dent in tank, crush gaskets, and rebend the shift lever
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

you might have to look very close for those crush gaskets, I've seen a few not think they are there when actually they are, might want to do some probing with a pic to make sure
Old 11-20-2012, 01:28 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerfixit524 View Post
well, i got it mostly put back together after taking apart the whole exhaust system and cleaning it. it looks so much better. I drained the antifreeze. still need to sync the carbs. gonna buy a few more parts. but i let it run for about 30-40 min and it didnt smoke YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. *does a happy dance *
Still waiting on crush gaskets but all it does now is smell like burning pine sol which is what i soaked the pipes in for a few days.
I think im good to go
minus carbs, dent in tank, crush gaskets, and rebend the shift lever

Am I losing the plot here; You drained the coolant and had no more white smoke ? Imagine that. Re your carbs;Even using Pinesol, (which doesn't burn) you are supposed to flush it out of the jets after use
age so quite how
your bike emits the odor of a sapling pine is completely beyond me.

Chris
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
Am I losing the plot here; You drained the coolant and had no more white smoke ? Imagine that. Re your carbs;Even using Pinesol, (which doesn't burn) you are supposed to flush it out of the jets after use
age so quite how
your bike emits the odor of a sapling pine is completely beyond me.

Chris
sorry that was just a rant of me being excited and i combined everything into one thing.
well it sort of turned into 2 things. It was smoking so i tore apart the exhaust system because i needed to clean it anyway. (it was really really rusty and smoke coming out of the connection to the engine. )Also For the carbs I cleaned them out and washed out the extra pine sol. The burning pine sol smell is coming from my exhaust pipes because i soaked them in a bath of 2 gals of pine sol. and i tried my best to clean the outside and rinse the inside. I couldnt get all of the pine sol im guessing inside the tubes because i didnt have anything that would reach up inside the pipes.

I am sure that will go away eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANCESSABRE View Post
you might have to look very close for those crush gaskets, I've seen a few not think they are there when actually they are, might want to do some probing with a pic to make sure
I will put up a pic probably after thanks giving. I am awaiting some other parts . They are supposed to be copper right? I didn't see any copperish things but I will still get a few pics up here. I have my exhaust put together w/o the gaskets just for testing purposes while i await my ordered gaskets. Ill tear it apart once i get them. If it turns out that I have them then i wasted 8 bucks o well.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:58 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerfixit524 View Post

I will put up a pic probably after thanks giving. I am awaiting some other parts . They are supposed to be copper right? I didn't see any copperish things but I will still get a few pics up here. I have my exhaust put together w/o the gaskets just for testing purposes while i await my ordered gaskets. Ill tear it apart once i get them. If it turns out that I have them then i wasted 8 bucks o well.
I do believe by "pic" he meant the tool, not the product of a camera. Though you'll never find me complain when someone provides pictures! Just want to make sure you use the tool to see if you can find it. Of course, I could be the one mistaken here, that's just how I read it.

Last edited by jgarib; 11-20-2012 at 03:00 PM.
jgarib is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarib View Post
I do believe by "pic" he meant the tool, not the product of a camera. Though you'll never find me complain when someone provides pictures! Just want to make sure you use the tool to see if you can find it. Of course, I could be the one mistaken here, that's just how I read it.
LOL wow you're right. i read that quickly and thought that. haha silly me. o well i might post a pic anyway
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarib View Post
yes it is the tool that I meant, when i put my long shots on I could have sworn the were not their as the were hard to see but they actually were after further inspection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.