rear vtwin smoking - Page 4 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #31 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerfixit524 View Post
sorry that was just a rant of me being excited and i combined everything into one thing.
well it sort of turned into 2 things. It was smoking so i tore apart the exhaust system because i needed to clean it anyway. (it was really really rusty and smoke coming out of the connection to the engine. )Also For the carbs I cleaned them out and washed out the extra pine sol. The burning pine sol smell is coming from my exhaust pipes because i soaked them in a bath of 2 gals of pine sol. and i tried my best to clean the outside and rinse the inside. I couldnt get all of the pine sol im guessing inside the tubes because i didnt have anything that would reach up inside the pipes.

I am sure that will go away eventually

I will put up a pic probably after thanks giving. I am awaiting some other parts . They are supposed to be copper right? I didn't see any copperish things but I will still get a few pics up here. I have my exhaust put together w/o the gaskets just for testing purposes while i await my ordered gaskets. Ill tear it apart once i get them. If it turns out that I have them then i wasted 8 bucks o well.
Not a waste.....you should replace them whenever you remove your exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

When I grow up......ahh hell I ain't plannin to do that!
Sgoatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #32 (permalink)

Those crush gaskets get dirty and look like the rest of your exhaust port, I bet they're there.

As for your smoking, here's my guess:

You went down on the pipes and loosened them, coolant poured all over the motor and ran down inside the pipes where it settled until they got hot enough to boil it. If the bike was actually kicking water out the pipes, if your motor was eating that much coolant, I don't think it would run.

Hope that's the case anyway. If you indeed do not have crush gaskets in there then that would back up my 'coolant getting into the pipes' theory.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullCrusher View Post
Those crush gaskets get dirty and look like the rest of your exhaust port, I bet they're there.

As for your smoking, here's my guess:

You went down on the pipes and loosened them, coolant poured all over the motor and ran down inside the pipes where it settled until they got hot enough to boil it. If the bike was actually kicking water out the pipes, if your motor was eating that much coolant, I don't think it would run.

Hope that's the case anyway. If you indeed do not have crush gaskets in there then that would back up my 'coolant getting into the pipes' theory.
The crush gaskets seal the pipes to the cylinder heads. They are designed to prevent exhaust gasses from escaping to atmosphere. How in the name of sanity would coolant get in there ? Loosened pipes ? Just when I thought I'd heard it all .
Now please don't get me wrong, I'm all for suggestions but seriously ?
Bugger me. if the OP posts that his loosened pipes ingested coolant while the bike was down I'll eat my crash helmet.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #34 (permalink)

ok well i looked at it more closely and i definitely did not have crush gaskets. I did install some and now its all back together working beautifully. Even sounds better for some reason. Now all i have to do is sync the carbs (waiting on a part), get the dent out of my tank (going to take that to a body shop)
Thanks guys for your help
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #35 (permalink)

So just an update on this. I am 90% sure that a head gasket has blown or maybe the fall jarred it enough to loosen the top part of the cylinder. While I haven't done a compression test or any other tests that I have looked up online , like the blue fluid or air compressor tests. I am getting excessive condensation and still while smelling smoke.
I am not going to take apart the engine. I can do pretty much anything else on a cycle or car. Just don't feel comfortable taking apart the cylinder because I would guess, i would miss something like not tightening the screws in the right order or with the right amount of torque
I give up and I am just going to take it to my mechanic. I appreciate all your responses thus far.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #36 (permalink)

Check your oil for coolant. White smoke sais water, could be head gasket or cracked cylinder. If the oil looks ok see if the smoke burns off, if not you broke or bent something.
vonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #37 (permalink)

You can get an entire, low mileage engine from eBay for sometimes $500 - $600 shipped. You can do an engine swap fairly easy. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free