Problems... - Page 2 - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

The fact that your troubles started right after you changed plugs suggests you fouled up something there too. Check your wire-to-coil and wire-to-boot connections. Also look at the plugs for the cyl that's acting up. Are the porcelain insulators all dark and nasty (too much gas) or are they white (not enough)? Did the parts store give you the correct plugs? Is the gap set correctly? Don't trust factory gapped plugs, confirm with a gauge. Go over everything you touched or moved while doing the plug swap and see if anything is amiss before ripping down the carbs.
SkullCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullCrusher View Post
The fact that your troubles started right after you changed plugs suggests you fouled up something there too. Check your wire-to-coil and wire-to-boot connections. Also look at the plugs for the cyl that's acting up. Are the porcelain insulators all dark and nasty (too much gas) or are they white (not enough)? Did the parts store give you the correct plugs? Is the gap set correctly? Don't trust factory gapped plugs, confirm with a gauge. Go over everything you touched or moved while doing the plug swap and see if anything is amiss before ripping down the carbs.
To late lol I just pulled them off. They need to be checked anyway. But I will check those things...
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

You didn't by chance bump something on the carburetor when you were changing the plugs did you . . . bend some linkage, turn a screw, loosen something up, etc. The only reason I ask, is that the problem began after you changed the plugs. Was the bike running fine during the drive to the auto store?

Good luck . . . keep us updated.

2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750
-Mustang Seat & Backrest
-Memphis Shades Windshield & Lowers
-Saddlemen Highwayman Saddlebags
-National Cycle Paladin Highway Bars
-Show Chrome Accessories Radiator Cover
-Kuryakyn ISO Pegs (Driver & Passenger)
-Kuryakyn ISO Grips
-Honda Luggage Rack and Sissybar
-Honda Saddlebag Supports
DRVMN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage

Yeah it was fine, I don't get it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

why did you change the plugs?

Maybe some junk or pebbles fell in when removing the plugs? And 2 miles down the road, they caught in the valves and bent one? Or maybe its wedging the valve open?

Maybe that's why it smoking??

Just an idea, no idea how likely that is to happen.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Motorcycle.com Free App
ken99287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 AM   #16 (permalink)

Garage

Because I just got this bike and I don't know if they have ever been changed.

I did screw up the threads slightly on one of the rear cylinder plugs but the new plug seats nice and tight and I sprayed soapy water over it, no bubbles. So I don't think that's it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by SuperiorKolours; 11-16-2012 at 07:47 AM.
SuperiorKolours is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Weird. Can't wait to hear what the issue is.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App
ken99287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
Default *update*

Ok so I cleaned the carbs and put them back on and the bike fired right up and sounded great! It ran for about 5-10 minutes and then started to bog down and die. ?!

I have been having battery issues so I'm thinking maybe its that. But after it died on me twice I was able to start it and fire it up, so if it was the battery charge being so low that it couldn't maintain sparking I would think that it would be to low to start it back up without jumping it. So maybe its not the battery.

It was kind of dark out but I couldnt see any smoke coming from the exhaust anymore so thats good.

Any suggestions?

94' 600 VLX
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
GDI

You seem to have had some problems w/ float valve--oil smells like gas, oil level is high, etc. Now it's dying after running 5-10 minutes. Does the bike start up and run OK if you let it sit for a while? This may indicate that your carb is not getting enough gas.

What does your gas tank look like? Is it rusty and nasty inside? You may want to clean out your gas tank. You may want to check the screen on the fuel petcock in the gas tank if your bike has one. Do you have a fuel filter? Is it clean? You may want to replace it if you have one or add an aftermarket fuel filter if you don't. You probably should check that your fuel line doesn't have some obstruction in it. If that doesn't help, you may want to replace the float valve inside your carb as it could be sticking now after leaking earlier. . . .

You're probably going to have to try a few things to get this figured out.

good luck,

GDI
GDI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

When you say you cleaned the carbs..

Did you fit new repair kits..About $16 each..

if not did you clean the strainers under the float seats

did you check the float heights and movement.

Did you check the diaphragms for pinholes or splits.

and did you replace the fuel filter.

John.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.