Tire wear - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Tire wear

When I bought the new 09 Shadow Aero 750cc, now with 11k miles on the Dunlop tires it came with. On the front tire I have noticed from the center to the left side of the tire, it is worn more then the right side. Would like any help I could got on why this is happen. NO, i'm not just making left hand turns, LOL.

Thanks ahead of time
Rich
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

There are a number of thoughts on why this happens to many (most) motorcycle front tires. Some say that the crown of the roads adds to it and others are sure that we corner harder on the longer sweep of left hand turns.

I suspect it is a combination of those things and more. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless your sled seems to be handling poorly.

gat803 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich750c View Post
Would like any help I could got on why this is happen.
That's a snipe hunt.

Besides the things gat mentioned -- and many unproven theories -- it could even be the way the individual tire was made. Unless you've got an issue with the way the bike handles, let it go. Even if the right side of the tire still has viable tread left, you've used up a Shadow's Dunlop at 11k. (If it's a D404, you did way more than that.)

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlowe View Post
That's a snipe hunt.

Besides the things gat mentioned -- and many unproven theories -- it could even be the way the individual tire was made. Unless you've got an issue with the way the bike handles, let it go. Even if the right side of the tire still has viable tread left, you've used up a Shadow's Dunlop at 11k. (If it's a D404, you did way more than that.)
=1. Its probably well over due to be replaced. In fact I wouldn't ride on it anymore. If you look more closely is there a little "saw tooth'" appearance to the tread? Stock Dunlops aren't nothing more than a piece of round rubber that looks like a tire.

06' 1100 Spirit (sold 6/23/13)
71' CL 100
99' Valkyrie
Ride Bell by "Yoman"

Last edited by h13man; 11-19-2012 at 10:24 AM.
h13man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you got 11,000 miles out of a Dunlop tire...consider yourself lucky.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would like to thank you all for your come back. As most of you replyed, Dunlop is not much of a tire. And yes, i do have the D-404.

Thanks again for your help
Rich

Last edited by rich750c; 11-19-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: I for got, and put two threads in one post
rich750c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan07 View Post
If you got 11,000 miles out of a Dunlop tire...consider yourself lucky.
11K out of the OEM Dunlops is about NORMAL. If not a little on the low side, on average..... The Dunlops suck NOT because they don't last, but because they don't keep the Rubber Side down as well as other brands. I wish I could get 11K out of the High Dollar Avons and Metzeler tires I prefer. I average 8-10K miles Per set on the Shadow, but then I am VERY hard on tires.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Lots of Dunlop bashing here without any facts. The fact is Honda, along with many other manufacturers, select Dunlop as original equipment. That means for many riders, this is the original tire and likely to be well worn by the time it is changed. The new tire is therefore much better. If you selected a non-Dunlop tire your conclusion is it is a better tire rather than a newer tire.

I have asked several times for any factual comparison, technical literature or other non-speculative articles regarding tires and no one has been able to provide. I have also asked for specific characteristics of the Dunlop that are lacking and no response. I have seen several articles regarding sport tires and the Dunlop is often found to be superior.

I have several cruiser motorcycles and a touring MC and have switched bacck and forth between Dunlop, Avon, Metzler and Pirelli, and have not noticed a lot of difference in the tires and tend to buy for looks (Whitewall) and longevity.

So one more time: if anyone can point to any technical comparison for cruiser tires I will greatly appreciate.

G.

PS I get about 15k miles per set of tires
PPS There is a study that indicates where riders ride on the right hand lane (US) the front tire will wear more on the left due to the left hand corner distance. The theory was confirmed by looking at front tires in left-side riding countries that showed more wear on the right side.

Last edited by gdb069; 11-20-2012 at 04:24 PM.
gdb069 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb069 View Post
Lots of Dunlop bashing here without any facts. The fact is Honda, along with many other manufacturers, select Dunlop as original equipment. That means for many riders, this is the original tire and likely to be well worn by the time it is changed. The new tire is therefore much better. If you selected a non-Dunlop tire your conclusion is it is a better tire rather than a newer tire.

I have asked several times for any factual comparison, technical literature or other non-speculative articles regarding tires and no one has been able to provide. I have also asked for specific characteristics of the Dunlop that are lacking and no response. I have seen several articles regarding sport tires and the Dunlop is often found to be superior.

I have several cruiser motorcycles and a touring MC and have switched bacck and forth between Dunlop, Avon, Metzler and Pirelli, and have not noticed a lot of difference in the tires and tend to buy for looks (Whitewall) and longevity.

So one more time: if anyone can point to any technical comparison for cruiser tires I will greatly appreciate.

G.

PS I get about 15k miles per set of tires
PPS There is a study that indicates where riders ride on the right hand lane (US) the front tire will wear more on the left due to the left hand corner distance. The theory was confirmed by looking at front tires in left-side riding countries that showed more wear on the right side.

You are kinda right about the Dunlop bashing, to a point. Most people don't get the opurtunity to try tires out, they just get a new set every few years. New tires are always better the old ones, and sometimes this "better" gets falsely attributed to the brand of the tire. Afterall the basically same tire was used on Harleys also, of course relabeled. The Harley crowd was not nearly as critcal of the tires. I have also ran an like Dunlops on some of my other bike, happily. When i was racing I ran Dunflop almost exclusivley. BUT, I have found they are not the best tire for me on my Shadow, your experience may vary. In fact I find tire comparison articles almost useless in reality, bike, cars or trucks. Just because it works for 1 guy on 1 bike, does not mean it will work for me or you. On the Shadow I prefer Met or Avon, but those brands both sucked for my dad on his Wing and Vulcan. But he does run Avon, on the Venture.

Last edited by 93gc40; 11-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Lots of Dunlop bashing here without any facts.
NO! There are many relevant facts. They are not all posted here.

Quote:
The fact is Honda, along with many other manufacturers, select Dunlop as original equipment. That means for many riders, this is the original tire and likely to be well worn by the time it is changed. The new tire is therefore much better. If you selected a non-Dunlop tire your conclusion is it is a better tire rather than a newer tire.
Bull. New Dunlops are better than old Dunlops and anyone here who has changed a tire knows that and will agree with it. THAT IS NOT WHY DUNLOP IS GETTING BASHED. Let me state that again with more emphasis: THAT IS NOT WHY DUNLOP IS GETTING BASHED.

The reason Dunlop gets bashed around here is that the tires Dunlop offers for Shadows are lousy tires. The D404s suck. They are cheap and they are junk. On their very best day, they aren't half as good as ME880s. Better tires come from China.

Dunlop does make some excellent tires. Superbike racers run on Dunlops -- and they would not put their lives on the line with cheap junk. We can even put some good Dunlop tires on our bikes -- but not with the support of Dunlop. None of the good tires that would fit are bikes are paired with them in Dunlop's fitment guide.

And, btw, most OEMs select their stock tire with cost as the primary factor in the decision making process. Ride is secondary and handling tertiary. As cruiser riders, we will suffer with this list of priorities far more than anyone owning a sportbike.

Ride bell by Dr. Bob's Patient
adlowe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.