large fuel leak - Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default large fuel leak

I recently got my 98 Aero 1100 back from the shop. New tires, carb sync, oil change. I know the bike has more time on it than miles, but what are the odds that the old girls carbs are synced and then the fuel pump starts leaking. I look up under the carriage where the fuel appears to be leaking.

Description of leak, or what appears to be leaking. It looks like the little brass barrel has permatex pushed out of it. I will score some pics if needed.

Any information would be helpful on this. Especially DIY

Last edited by flybuy; 11-22-2012 at 11:28 AM.
flybuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Tredegar,South Wales, near England, not far from Scotland.

Photo's will help, otherwise we can only guess..Try a distance shot with an arrow or screwdriver pointing to the spot that is leaking and a couple of close ups from different angles.

John.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Only you can find the leak, without pics. Most leaks are from bad hoses, but I have seen pumps fail and leak. How long after getting it back from the shop did this happen? What else did the shop do to the fuel system? And how much did you pay for $70(parts/supplies) and 2 hours worth of labor? First doing a sync is a waste of time and $$ unless you first adjust and service the fuel, ignition and charging systems. Sync is not really a service item, it is more a fine tunning and diagnostic item. My bike goes out of sync I know I have issues, or potential issues, in the fuel system, ignition or valve train.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

not long. it looks like it is leaking from above the pump. both the inlet and outlets to the pump on the exhaust side are dry, the filter (i think its a filter right below it as you look up) are dry. It looks like its leaking from above it.
Is there something above it. Next step is to start taking $#!+ apart. Would like not to have to tear this thing all the way down.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Although the vt1100s are very similar there are quite a lot of differences, but without photo's none of us can do more than guess..you should be looking at the petcock, is the filter full of dirt, has one of the hose clips eaten into the hose, is a hose cracked or split..The hose coming down from the petcock has a right angle bend in it where it clips on to the petcock, mine had perished on that bend..get a piece of absorbant paper and wrap it around the hose at the petcock, move it down until it shows wet..that could be the best place to start, It's not much good taking stuff off because you will hide the problem if it is a pinhole..

John.

Last edited by John Hopkins; 11-22-2012 at 04:22 PM.
John Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

93gc40

Not long. Only paid 40$ for the carb sync.
The tech at the shop mentioned the tank needed to come off to service.
Are there other lines on the tank that will leak from over top of the fuel pump.

John H

I took the towel in my had around the petcock all the way down as far as my hands would allow. Cannot get into the leaking area. That is why I was asking about the other lines.

I have tried to read about the carb sync but not really sure from what I read whether the shop would have even been the area around the swing arm.

I will be adding some pics very soon

Last edited by flybuy; 11-22-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added line
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

ok here is an attempt at downloading a pic.

To the right of the pencil are the 2 fuel lines to and from the pump.
The pencil is pointed at the center part of the pump that is slighly wet.
The majority of the fuel runs down behind and on top of the swingarm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0786.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	8800  

Last edited by flybuy; 11-22-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

That filter needs changing.

John.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

so you think a filter will fix a leak?

OEM or Aftermarket
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

This may be a little tough to clean up, but what we do for hard to find leaks is use leak check, OR foot powder in a spray aresol can. spray the area with the foot powder, it will be all nice and white, when it starts to leak it will become dark and very noticable. spray the entire area, you may also need a mirror to look up in there.

Scrapdog2grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Shadow Forums : Shadow Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.